Problems With PHP POST

Hi there,

I am running on a new cPanel server installation and I am having some problems with POST data.

Here’s my test POST script:

public function post_test()
	{
		if ($this->input->post('post_test'))
		{
			echo 'got post';
		}

echo '<form action="" method="post">';
		echo '<textarea name="live"></textarea>';
		echo '<input type="hidden" name="post_test" value="1">';
		echo '<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit">';
		echo '</form>';
	}

The $_POST array is empty when I post this data in textarea[name=live]:

<b>Need Tickets?</b> site@mysite.com<br>
<b>Booking Now!</b> booking@mysite.com<br><br>

To be announced

The $_POST array populates with data from the form when I post this data (it posts properly):

<b>Need Tickets?</b> site@mysite.com<br>
<b>Booking Now!</b> booking@mysite.com<br><br>

My question is, why does the entire $_POST array become empty when I post anything in textarea[name=live] beyond the <br><br>? So weird.

Hi Panduola,

Is there some more code that you haven’t shown? How are you checking the value of ‘live’ once the form is submitted?

Doing a var_dump($_POST); reveals array(0){}

Are you using CodeIgniter? Could you try var_dump($this->input->post()); and let me know what you get?

Yes. I have done this as well. The response is bool(false).

If this site is online somewhere, could you share a link to it? I’d like to see the page and check what the browser is actually submitting etc.

Yes: http://incolorband.com/welcome/post_test

Try submitting the two different code samples above.

Right, I’ve tried both variations of the text you mention in your first post and I get the same results you do. Interestingly, when submitting the full text (the one that doesn’t work) the Chrome console reports that the server responds with a 403 error.

I did a quick search and it’s possible that it’s related to a server module called mod_security: http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/187785/#887877

The suggested fix is to add the following lines to your .htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

If that works for you, I’d recommend checking with your hosting company if it’s safe to leave it set like that.

Solved! Great. This did the trick. Many thanks!