Programming - maths knowledge

A friend and I were discussing again.

He said programming requires too much maths knowledge-I said that you just need to know the basics (addition, subtraction, division, multiplication).

He also reckons HTML is a programming language :wink:

What do you think?

As said previously, you need math (or maths, whatever it is) when youā€™re programming graphics, turns and spinning (lots of trigonometry and matrixes on those), when youā€™re programming accountability and scientific softwares, for games (not only for the graphics, but to express the physics of the worlds and what needs to happen if two objects inside the game collide, such as two cars racing and then hit each other)

In web development, you use some basic calculations to know the amount of room a box will need or where should be placed exactly and so onā€¦ also for animation effects.

But for many daily tasks, it is not that important.

Of course, as with everything else in life, the more you know, the better :smiley:

There is a correlation between understanding mathematics and being able to thinking in an algorithmic way.

Math itself is largely irrelevant to programming. Individual topics such as discrete mathematics and linear algebra will most probably be applicable, depending on what programming you get into.

Math helps by providing that logical thinking which is demanded by any branch of mathematics. The building of axiomatic foundations through to the careful reasoning which is required to solve any complex math problem.

Practicing programming skill > pure math. But pure math, does improve your analytical ability.

Yeah I agree, I remember going for a job as a Clerical Officer when I just finished secondary school and I was put into this section for Pensions - Omg, nightmare - I was expecting an administrative role really but ended up calculating compound interest all day long and pension contributions :shifty: bluegh! Needless to say Iā€™m not in that job anymore, but I did last significantly longer than I thought I would! lol

Im not sure there are many careers in ā€œpureā€ Maths apart from research posts, lecturing etc. Lots of Mathematicians move into IT, accountancy etc. There more to Maths apart from the numbers(obviously ;-)). Theories you have to remember, proofs, deductions,new theoriesā€¦

Richard Stallman apparently hated mathematics, ended up being one of the most important names in software history.

I got into programming because I was not good at math.

Programming doesnā€™t require loads of math knowledge, I suck at maths but I can code in VB, Delphi and C#, enough said :smiley:

Generally, programming is more about knowing how to calculate (formula) rather than doing the math itself. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s funny you say that because I was like, what is it with Math ā€¦whereā€™s the ā€œsā€ :smiley:

I do admire those who are great with numbers - I did to honours accountancy in school and Iā€™m pretty ok with numbers but I donā€™t get the fascination with wanting that as a career - I donā€™t believe itā€™s a requirement unless as what was previously stated - that particular program demanded it - in those instances, I steer well clear of them! :smiley:

HTML is a markup language, not a programming language.

To be able to program you need to understand logic and arithmetic. You only need to understand mathematics if you are working on a program that requires it and not necessarily even then.

Some programs require extensive math knowledge or the ability to google search and find help.

Other programs are pretty much basic math.

Was is it with people and Maths? Iā€™ve never gotten the fascination with numbers :confused2

for some programs you will need to know maths in great depth but for some commercial programs you do not need to be a maths genius.

HTML is not a programming language. Although my friend thinks it is.

I just canā€™t get used to the word ā€œmathsā€. It just seems wrong. Here we just say ā€œmathā€.
I canā€™t figure it out. Great maths are so elegant and beautiful, employ such subtlety of thought.

ā€˜The mysterious is the most beautiful thing we can experience. It is the source of all true art and scienceā€™ - Albert Einstein

I think this thread is fairly pointless.

Cheers,
D.

Lol. I have to agree with disgracian.

html is not exactly a programming language, but I guess you could look at it like one. Depending who you are of course.

As for needing to know maths. That depends on what you are programming. Websites in any language and C# for windows, etc. Basics is fine. But the maths gets quite advanced when it comes to graphic applications such as games, etc. eg. Using openGL