Who among here believes in psychic, astrology or interested with it.
In my post...I linked it to my religion..honestly I don't want to get a discussion started on this.:)
It's mostly just psychology used to make money some way (e.g. giving you money, reading a paper more often etc.) under the guise of being magical (e.g. astrology, tarot reading, psychic stuff etc.).
I don't, but I do believe in question marks. However, I don't believe Dr Evil's dad invented it (and I don't think Dr Evil does either).
people has their own beliefs.. the important is to respects oneself.
I do. I've done a lot of work with such things and have seen it work.
actually, i was wrong, p t barnum never said what people think he said
Astrology...hmm.. I believe in it but for me that comes as a part of our tradition and culture. You know every child born in our relig: has his horoscope written by an astrologer which is spot on almost in all cases....well atleast in my case. All they need is your birth date and time.
Yes, but from a non-believer's point of view, I see it literally as what it is.
electroscan, I totally agreew with you. I don't know what you're religion is, but I've also had astrological charts done and they've been extremely accurate.
But it's all in if one chooses to acknowledge it or not. If one refuses to believe in it then no amount of evidence or experience would sway one to believe in it. Such has been my experience.
Any sufficiently advanced technology may initially appear like magic, but ...
- Real technology works consistently, a ball point pen writes even when someone who doesn't believe is holding it.
- Advanced technology grows from more simple technology. A lighter is ultimately a canister of flammable liquid with a flint.
Psychic powers fail these tests. They disappear when they are examined closely, and they have no simple predecessors like the fountain pen or banging two rocks together.
The "what would the cave men think of my iPod" scenario is a bit ridiculous because it would actually require time travel magic for that situation to be realized. The serfs aren't burning you at the stake because you showed off your electric razor, they are burning you because YOU TRAVELED THROUGH TIME. And they should burn you, you evil demon witch.
I don't believe in any of this stuff BUT (and that's a big butt):
1) I find it interesting that many people do fit their astrological sign. Aquarius fits me to a "T".
2) Many years ago, a guy told me about some lady who was a psychic and would tell things about me if I would write her a letter along with $20. He said I can call her to make sure it's OK but to NOT drop by her house. So I called her on the phone and, yes, it was a totally weird experience. I sent her a letter with five questions on it. Over a period of time I wrote her three times asking fairly specific questions.
The only thing I remember from all that is, she correctly identified who I was going to marry, when I would marry, what job I would have, how well off I would be throughout my life, and a couple of others I forgot right now.
1) She said I would marry a girl who's first name began with a 'D' and wore white. My wife's first name begins with a D and she wore a medical lab coat when I met her two years later.
2) She said I would marry later than most (then) but before I was 30. I married at 28.
3) She said I would have my own successful business which I did 10 years later.
4) She said I wouldn't be rich but I would always be very well off. At the time I had a dead end job not making much money and had no prospects of going anywhere. Some say I'm rich but her description is probably more accurate.
Because so many of these things didn't happen until several years later, I lost track of her. Wish I didn't.
Here's what I honestly believe...
I think we do have a sixth sense that's under-developed. No, I'm not talking about any para-normal stuff.
I think we're supposed to have that same sense to detect electrical signals that some other animals have... but I think for most of us it's under-developed.
You know that there are fish like the Elephant Nose and Electric Eels that use their electric organs to sort of echo-locate food buried in the sand or otherwise hidden??
You know that pit snakes and dogs are believed to have the ability to detect the electricity of muscle contractions of nearby animals ??
I think we have some lingering ability to do this but it's not very sharp so we interpret it as "a weird feeling in the gut".
Sort of like when you're walking down the street and you sometimes feel a vibe that someone is behind you.
I know what you're thinking and yes it's true that a lot of people use belief in the paranormal to swindle others out of their cash. Hell sometimes they even use it to start wars, or in Trinidad -- to win votes!!
But remember what I told you about the hundred white sheep. Seeing just one black sheep can prove you wrong, but no matter how many white ones you see you cannot scientifically say "All sheep are white".
This applies here too. It cannot be scientifically proven, but it cannot be scientifically dis-proven either.
I'm going to stay on the fence with this one.
"... we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event.
To date, no one has ever passed the preliminary tests."
@ Shaun: I will not beat the horse again. Let it graze and enjoy the grass
Hard for a horse to eat grass when it's dead.
(Yeah, I'm not as eloquent.)
next page →