Pulling Video from a Site

I’m trying to figure out how to capture video from this web site that has VOD (Video-on-Demand) so far I’ve tried two FireFox capture add-ons that work with FLV and SWF and they don’t work. The videos on this site are probably closed fairly well, it it something that I’ve paid for and would like to capture the videos for off-line watching. I’m hoping someone could help me capture the video in the same quality as it is online for watching offline ?

If it is played with Flash player, you can use this YouTube downloader to download it. It can download online videos that play by Adobe Flash Player.

Have you tried Jaksta, WM Capture or WM Recorder?

there are probably several ways to do this, but you didn’t provide much information about the site and it’s system :stuck_out_tongue:
…and these kind of addons can easily be bypassed, so it’s not sure its closed that well…

if you can’t provide information you’ve better have a close look at the source, to try to trace the video, - or make use of a screen recorder.

I’m going to try the software you mentioned. I didn’t provide much information because I don’t know myself how the video is encoded even after reading the page source, no information is revealed. I’ll update shortly :slight_smile:

Orbit Downloader might do the trick Husky, it’s a download manager with some nifty tools for grabbing online content, however beware. If you don’t have permission or license to download the material you paid for (if the license was just to stream it), you are technically breaking the law by attempting to bypass their DRM. :slight_smile:

Now I have three options to try out :slight_smile: It is only going to be used by myself personally no on else, unless grandma cares to learn it which I highly doubt :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I think It will became easy. If you using Windows Operating System Of MS. after Online watching the flash(flv) that It will be download in the IE temp folder. So you will find the video files when you open this folder. Usually the folder is “C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files”. and I get Youtube Video files by this way.

idm works for most
if not real player recorder is always there…
not recommended but peeping into html source can come handy sometimes…

The video files are streaming on demand, so no video files get placed anywhere on the computer as far as I remember. IDM ?

The HTML does not reveal nothing, not even the smallest clue, there is no way to pull it from the site as suggested with some tools posted in this thread, currently the only method that I can think of is to capture the video from on screen and I don’t even know how successful that will turn out.

If your video card has the ability to put out video to a video recorder, you can do that. Years ago, I turned off my screen saver and set my video to a VCR, and recorded a TV program for my wife. It worked fairly well.

That’s an idea but I don’t know how clear it will turn out.

tape it from the videocard could be an idea, but i think i would rather use a screen recorder.

what you could do was try out “urlsnooper” and “rtmpdump”. you could, - if you had experience… sniff the stream, filter it and dump the packages, for then again build the videofile… but i think a screen recorder would be a lot easier :wink:

what you could do was try out “urlsnooper” and “rtmpdump”. you could, - if you had experience

Does anyone have experience doing this ? This is a great option.

I could give them my login account they could do what they need to and then upload it to me where I could have it forever.

It is sorta stupid to stream because what if the content goes poof and time passes at least you know for what you paid for you have it offline, I understand the whole reason but this is something I paid for, arrgh.

then give urlsnooper and rtmpdump a try. they are relatively easy to use, and you’ll find some good tutorials on the net if you search for it. there are also video tutorials on youtube for this.

they are just two small proggies… one you run to get the url(s), the other you run for saving the stream. just open the firewall to these apps, run the commands and start testing.

if you can’t get it working, you would be best helped with a screen recorder.
Sniffing the packets of the video stream, and then filter it - save it and again rebuild it would require some skills in this field from you

None of them worked, they have this stream closed very well. This connection I’m on stinks someone would have to try to do it for me otherwise it’s impossible.

Replay Media Catcher is pretty good for Windows and works for almost everything.

did you make a batch file for rtmpdump to run and are you sure you got it workin the right way with your network adapter, and you did install winpcap too?

you may want to manually set up your network adapter and you may also have to reboot to get it working.

if you got this far you only have to make the batch file and start testing.

the video will most likely be streamed through a player, so you will need to use the url to the player too in the batch file. the stream will most likely also be halted, and if it does, you need to add the “resume” parametre to it and run the file again and again from a Dos prompt until it tells you it’s “done”

if you have problems, try to search for tutorials on this. i know there is quite a few out there. getting someone else to do it, sounds like hmm… not so smart… :shifty:

from a quick search i came across FVD Suite, maybe that is worth testing…

if nothing works, you still have the Screen Recorder option left…

did you make a batch file for rtmpdump to run and are you sure you got it workin the right way with your network adapter, and you did install winpcap too?

Some parts of rtmpdump were confusing even after reading some information about it. Most of these programs should work in the sense where you give the file the URL and it finds it and downloads it. I was unable to make any progress with rtmpdump with what I could figure out, I also tried the FVD suite and that didn’t work either. The video must be encrypted and encoded very well in a sense that’s also barred within all that encryption and encode.

I suppose a screen capture method is the only solution how well that works, is a mystery as I’ve have to test it on a faster connection.

you will need to make a batch file with the url’s of the video and probably the url of the player too. this file will also need to have the proper commands in it to get it working with rtmpdump. and you may also need to run it many times to get the whole video.

that’s the easy solution, but some videos you’ll need to work more with to accomplish what you want. it depends what protocol and what steps has been taked to protect the video stream.
Nothing is easy today.

i think it will work out ok to use a screen capture, especially if everything else fails :shifty:

you will need to make a batch file with the url’s of the video and probably the url of the player too. this file will also need to have the proper commands in it to get it working with rtmpdump. and you may also need to run it many times to get the whole video.

And there is no guarantee it seems that this video as mentioned is encrypted very well I’m skeptical about rtmpdump.

i think it will work out ok to use a screen capture, especially if everything else fails

Screen capture probably would work but I would have to stream the entire video file, and then capture it, do you know of any screen capture utilities that could do this ? And another problem that faces me is that my Net connection that I’m temporarily using is still not the fastest so I’d have to find someone who could do this.