Pure CSS Responsive website design backwards compatibility best practice?

Hmm… not sure what’s up with that. It showed mobile vs desktop stats, with desktop at 91.5% and mobile at 8.5%

Poor quality screenshot… http://www.webpagetest.org/results/12/02/15/ZW/381K1/1_screen.jpg

Well, default for SCREEN (since there really should be no such thing as a default) on which all other screen values are based… I also wouldn’t say ‘browser’ on that either.

Remember, CSS is a first in, first out – code order based. Later properties override earlier ones – and since if a query fails it’s not applied, you have to leverage that.

Really it comes down to prioritizing behaviors and understanding that, to be brutally frank, old mobile devices SUCK… there were no standards, it’s fractured by manufacturer, and everyone ran their own direction to try and make normal desktop layouts work on their devices or specific ‘WAP’ type pages that few if any developers wasted their time trying to do anything with… So if you are thinking about legacy pre-iOS pre-Droid phones, DON’T WASTE YOUR TIME… because it’s such an unpredictable mess you’re probably better off sending them what you’d send desktop users… since they should be used to pages being broken in the first place; if you keep semantic markup and keep in mind most of the legacy ones ignore CSS layout and just pull FAC, you’re fine. (again, semantic layout and graceful degradation FTW!)

They’re giving us the tools in the here and now to do it better on the popular devices, so concentrate on that. Particularly since the concepts of separation of presentation from content using semantic markup came about for this very purpose.

Works for me if I switch it to a bar graph… the line graph refuses to load in either Opera or FF. (don’t have chrome on the lappy).