Qualifications for System Administrator

Hi gang,

I have been doing SEM for just over 3 years now and am looking to start advancing into system administrator career… but focused on the web… web servers/data centre type stuff.

What qualifications would be good to complete for this… I have been looking at the Red Hat Certifications and am very tempted to do these.

Please share your opinions :slight_smile:

Getting some Linux certs will not hurt but that is focusing on a small sector of the job market. If you are serious about this type of work go get your Microsoft Certs. like everybody else.

Do you really suggest Microsoft Certs. I thought that a lot of this was Linux based as well as all my servers are running either fedora or centos

I am presently employed as a sysadmin, and I have been for some time.

First, you need to be able to demonstrate serious expertise with an enterprise level OS - Redhat is a good choice, the RHCE is fairly well respected. Many sysadmin jobs require that you are an expert with several enterprise level OSes: AIX, Solaris, Windows, Linux, etc. Then you need to the basics of networking.

Then there could any number of other skills that are required: Oracle, PostgreSQL, Cisco, VMWare, SANs, Citrix, OpenView, Java/J2EE, Checkpoint, LDAP, Apache, SAMBA, Perl, Python, Sharepoint, Exchange, Lotus Notes, etc. I have seen job ads for a linux sysadmin that required senior-level Oracle DBA skills. Some jobs may require a government clearance.

There is no rhyme or reason to IT jobs, they just thrown in everything but the kitchen sink. Here a few recent jobs I have found posted.

Compare these job title to the required skills:

Linux Systems Administrator

Database Administrator (MySQL)

System Admin Linux Red Hat