Question about pollyfills

Hi, I am using the html5 shim and it works fine. Does what it is suppose to do.

I have tried to use the respond.js and css3-mediaqueries-js for supporting IE8 but it does not seem to work. I did test by downloading my own copy of the files and pointing to them but nothing seems to happen.

Have only tested this locally, do these files need to run from a server to do anything? This is not something I plan to spend a lot of time on because other than by page looking a bit odd if the browser is too small there is nothing to worry about.

I don’t really believe anyone using IE8 in the first place will be using it on a screen small enough to break the layout.

No, they shouldn’t need to. But are you testing this on IE8?

Yes, Actually I am writing this now on a computer with Chrome, Firefox, IE8 and Maxthon browsers installed.

This is an old XP machine that is dying but I keep around just for testing. I figure I need to really only support IE8 very little because anyone still using XP as their only computer really can’t do banking or any secure sites very well unless they at least upgrade the browser.

The nice thing about Maxthon is it does work from the IE engine so anyone who really wants an IE type of browser if upgrade to Maxthon they will still have that back end. This site works on Chrome, Firefox, and Maxthon just fine. Only issue is supporting the IE8 Media Queries.

Yeah, I honestly wouldn’t bother. You can serve up a separate style sheet for IE8, or you can just follow the “mobile first” kind of methodology, where you design a fairly simple, linear layout with basic HTML and CSS, and then add extra styling via media queries. then an older browser like IE8 will just get the basic (but perfectly adequate) styles.

1 Like

Than is kind of what I though. The menu on the site already requires a separate style sheet to color the menu properly so the words show and the drop downs are not transparent, which is fed to IE8 through the <!--[if lt IE 9]> condition.

Once the site is finished I may feed IE8 a special style sheet like the same way but I need to monitor my stats a bit more first. Besides IE8 looks fine with my current style sheet unless the screen is too narrow then all that happens is the menu wraps instead of staying on one line and the table simply breaks out of the margin. The table will only be on one page of the site.

The browser has to be less than 542px wide before anything bad happens and the fact that IE8 is on desktops I really don’t think I should be too concerned with this, was just curious. I mean even Adobe Flash Player does not support XP anymore.

The thing is, it should just work. I use this script inside of a <!--[if lt IE 9]>
http://css3-mediaqueries-js.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/css3-mediaqueries.js
and it works on IE 7 & 8. No need for extra css files.
True that people using mobile devices are unlikely to be using IE8, but it doesn’t hurt to have it, they may have a small laptop or one of the old Windows Pocket PC phones.
Google Analytics, if you use it, will tell you what browsers your visitors are using. Mine show there is still a small minority of pre IE9 users.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.