Question from a startup: where do I go to virtually meet developers?

Hello, SitePoint peoples!

I’m new here so I’ll introduce myself. My name is Heather, I’m starting up an edtech company, and I’m having a bit of a problem I hope you can help me with.

Many years ago I started a successful educational website that changed my life. It was so successful that it was analyzed & lauded in collegiate textbooks from MIT, Stanford, and Harvard. I even ended up in a (rather embarrassing…) documentary film that premiered at SXSW. Suffice it to say, all was going well & I was on my way to expanding that proof of concept into a larger SaaS business.

Then my health went south and forced me out of the work force for many years. Oops! Last year my condition finally improved enough to allow me to pursue my dream once more. I was accepted as a fellow in a prestigious social entrepreneurship incubator here in my hometown of Washington, DC & the ball started rolling again.

I’m now at a point where I need to build a beta to get to the next stage & show interested investors that the idea still holds merit. But there’s a bit of a problem in my way.

I need to recruit a back-end developer as a partner. All the advice I’ve gotten is to go to meetups & things, which sounds great… But my doctors just ordered me back on bedrest for the time being. I don’t want to give up again & I don’t want to lose the momentum I’ve worked so hard to build over the last year.

Which is why I’m here. I’m hoping you lovely people might know of other ways I can mingle with developers online, find where they hang out, and get to know them virtually while I’m temporarily under the weather. My chronic illness has taken so much away from me. I don’t want to let it win this time. I figure there has to be another way. Surely the Internet can come through for me & at least get me headed in the right direction. I just need to know where to go from people who have been there, done that, and know which groups are the most open to such things.

Thanks very much for your time! Any suggestions, comments, questions, etc would be much appreciated!

1 Like

Its better that you search online for different web design companies to whom you can outsource project too. You can search on google and contact over skype a well.

Hey there Heather,

I’d hope that there are people in the wider SitePoint community who might be right for you to talk to, if not here then definitely places like Moz, Product Hunt and even Reddit can be good for this kind of thing.

I’d also suggest Andrew Chen’s Backchannel forum as there are a bunch of really interesting and well-connected people there, be a good place to start meeting the kinds of people you are likely to need to meet to get things off the ground.

Sorry to hear about your health issues and good luck with everything, hope that it goes really well for you!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.