Question of sanity... Micro Rant

Hi everyone…

Without going into too much detail or naming names. (X-theme) ooops I did say no names… :slight_smile:

Why would a developer force you to use a div to center a video on a page?

I had been struggling with trying to do something that I thought was simple that went well beyond my 20min code limit.

Definition - I only work on an coding issue for 20 mins, then I look for experts.

Just looking for feedback on the question, shouldn’t that be something that should just work in wordpress?

Also love the mini cocktail post tag… I did not get to that point in this case.

Why would a developer force you to use a div to center a video on a page?

Hard do tell out of context.

Just looking for feedback on the question, shouldn’t that be something that should just work in wordpress?

what is the “that” that is supposed to just work?

just sayin’

I wouldn’t say anyone is “forcing” anyone. Just that’s how they’re doing it.

IMHO if you’re concerned about tag (and class) bloat, WordPress isn’t for you.
Sure, it can be nice to have a lot of things to use in styling, but most go unused and only add confusion.

Cause… containers. How else would you do it? o.O

Applying effects to other elements doesn’t always achieve the desired effects in every browser. Divs on the other hand usually do. AFAIK, using containers is considered good practice even if you can achieve the effect through some other way. That’s the way I do it and I’ll continue to do it until I’m proven wrong for some reason or better methods are developed.

I gotcha… I wasn’t clear on the that. :slight_smile:

I meant that a simple click to center a video should be sufficient.

I did not look at it from a container perspective.
I was going around tossing <center>Bla bla bla</center> like salt on popcorn.

<center> is deprecated. You should not use that anywhere.

This tag has been deprecated in HTML 4 (and XHTML 1) in favor of the CSS text-align property, which can be applied to the <div> element or to an individual <p>.

Thanks for that…

I have seen that in the past. But was still using the old html. It makes sense now.