Questions about first interview

I’m busy setting up a site, and I asked someone who has knowledge in the area that I’m making my site about, if I could have a little interview with him over mail. Then he noted that he lived in the same place as I do and that we could meet up. The moment he said that I immediately thought that was a great opportunity as it is more personal, but at the same time I realized that I have never interviewed someone before.

• Is it expected for me to buy him the drinks? I have no problem doing that, but I just wonder whether it will come across as weird?
  • How can I prepare myself for my first interview (it is an artist who I will ask about his work etc.)
  • Some general advice and tips?

I can’t say how it is where you live, but where I live (the Netherlands) I would say you’d have to pay for the drinks. Or at least offer to do so. If he refuses than you know where stand.
Personally I wouldn’t find it weird if someone suggested they pay for my drinks, I’d be happy and accept the offer :slight_smile:

Brainstorm about what you what you want to ask, maybe using a “spider web approach” (circle with some words in it, connected to other circles with words in them, connected to … don’t know the official term, but it’s a great way to organise your thoughts :))

Make sure you get (most of) the answers you came for. Some people (and artists more than other, no offence) tend to talk-and-talk-and-talk.
You need to take the lead (not forcefully, be polite!) in the interview.

Good luck! :slight_smile: