Questions about protecting/managing bandwidth usage on AWS S3 bucket

I am new to using S3, we are storing audio-mp3 files for public download.
I became concerned when I learned that the only tool to monitor bandwidth spikes are billing threshold alarms.

So the other day someone is using a Android download app that just kept reloading the same file over and over (discovered through log files) - my alarm emailed me ($50 threshold charge was reached) and I went in and made that file no longer public. But we had charges up to $92 by this time. Looking through log files is another can of worms one seldom reads about. For perspective this small operation spent $4.32 for all of last months charges. So $92 is unreasonable.

I’m in search of Tools & Training so I can stop this type of needless waste.

I signed up for AWS Support ($50 a month) paid for almost a year, basically just having them explain their vague documentation to me…and never had them give me a reasonable answer to this problem of how to manage and control bandwidth before we are charged. What happens if we get DDoS Attack . . . . I don’t even want to think about it!

I’ve been searching and searching, but not having any luck finding this issue addressed. Doesn’t this worry anyone else, or is there some simple solution I’m missing - Please Educate Me. I looking for a preventative solution(s). A way to track downloads, and automatically stop them when a time limit is reached and/or when to much bandwidth is being used or some other dangerous criteria is reached.

Oh yea, and I’m not a programmer. But I am willing to learn, if I can start simple. And I am willing to buy a tool if the price is reasonable for such a small outfit as mine.

Thank you for reading ~

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.