Questions about Ruby

Hi.

1- Is Ruby faster than PHP?
2- Is there an IDE for Ruby?
3- Which server Ruby use to run its web applications?

Cheers.

I’ll keep all my questions in this thread, so it can be a good reference for other new comers.

Is it true that I can’t depoy ruby web application on a small shared web hosting space?

What do you mean by change their appearance? Server-side scripting is not about changing how something visually looks, that’s what CSS is for. :slight_smile:

By thw way, another question:

• Is Ruby a secure language?

I may misunderstand the idea behind framework! because I’ve seen a tutorial that explain how can you quickly implement contact form or something like that, I thought that the fields were built in the framework, and this means that we can’t change theirs appearance and names for example!

Thanks.

I have another question about Ruby, does it provide flexiblity in changing the appearance of elements? as I have seen a video that explain how to use Ruby Framework to build quick forms, but the question is can I change the appearance of these quick solutions or just except them as they are?

I wouldn’t say any particular server-side language is faster or more effective than any other, it really depends on what you’re trying to achieve as to whether the language will meet your requirements. As for an IDE, Netbeans can work the Ruby mojo so it might be worth looking at (as the environment has been around for years). Regarding the server, you can use Apache or IIS for Ruby (or rails, depending on what you use). There’s plenty of options out there! :slight_smile:

Ruby is NOT a framework, it’s a programming language. Rails (as in Ruby on Rails) is a framework. There is a major difference. Regarding the styling of components, just like PHP or ASP, Ruby is not involved in the stylistic stuff of what ends up in the clients web browser, that’s the job of CSS.

It’s about as secure as any other language, but with all things, you need to be sensible in how you use and implement it.

No, if the host supports Ruby, you can deploy Ruby code, just like if the host supports PHP, you can deploy PHP scripts.

I’ve visited many websites built in Ruby, they are slower than other websites built in PHP or .NET, why?

I’ve just realised!

I mean for example the validation for inputs are built in rails which shows black text with red background! is there possibility to change that in Ruby?

You could probably generate some CSS using Ruby, but CSS should be written in… CSS. :slight_smile:

PS: It’s probably down to the servers rather than the language itself.

What’s the probelm with the server, is it not capable of running Ruby for example? I’ve visited many websites not one and all of them are slow comparing with .net and php websites.

It seems to be OK now, Ruby Ruby :smiley:

Here is another question, does Ruby support languages which are based on Unicode?

It’s probably just a slow server (like if they have a lot of people hosted on it). Slow servers are pretty common, especially on cheap hosting.

PS: Not all Ruby sites are slow, Twitter for example was built on Ruby. There’s absolutely no reason to say it’s slower than other languages.

Ruby is a server-side language… it deals with processing scripts, building web applications and such, it’s not a markup language (like HTML). It’s no different to PHP or ASP or JSP or ColdFusion or Python or Perl or any of the others (just it’s syntax and framework differ). I would advise you to do some research on the difference between language types (markup, client-side and server-side) and the difference between a language and a framework. :slight_smile:

Well, is it Ruby that makes you type less code than other languages or is it the Rails framework? :rolleyes:

It’s the rails framework… Rails is to Ruby as jQuery is to JavaScript.

Frameworks are pre-built libraries of code which simplify the process. :slight_smile:

To be fair, Ruby itself does tend to be more concise than other languages. So even without using a framework, a given script will likely be shorter in Ruby than in PHP.

But Alex is right, the biggest gains in productivity do come from Rails.

Rails generates a default stylesheet called scaffold.css that styles the forms when you run a particular script. That’s probably what you saw. If you check the HTML you’ll see it at the top. You don’t have to keep it. Rails just makes ordinary, plain old XHTML and you can do all the things you would normally do with XHTML.

Yes it is, and everytime I have to delete that stuff by myself to change it to what I want?

I’m sorry, are you talking about rails scaffold here? That’s an automated way of making your site quickly for rapid prototyping, so yes, you do have to change it if you’re not happy with the default. You can skip the scaffold if you want, most people do.