rDNS : Should it point to hostname or site's domain name?

DNS has been a very confusing topic for me :frowning:

Anyhow I have a server with hostname server.abc.com and IP 11.22.33.44. The host names I setup on registrar for this abc.com are ns1.abc.com, ns2.abc.com

My site domain is xyz.com and I changed the nameservers of this domain to ns1.abc.com and ns2.abc.com

Now 11.22.33.44 IP is also the dedicated IP of my site xyz.com i.e. if I enter this IP in browser, it opens my site xyz.com.

Now hotmail is sending my mails in JUNK. I noticed that rDNS of my IP 11.22.33.44 is pointing to some third party server (ppp.oooo.com)

I have to correct the reverse-DNS :cool:

Now should I set the reverse-DNS for my IP 11.22.33.44 to my server hostname (server.abc.com) OR my site’s domain name (xyz.com).

Btw email header of hotmail says:

Received: from server.abc.com ([11.22.33.44]) by SNT0-MC3-F41.Snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft...........

Now I feel the reverse-DNS for my IP should point to my hostname i.e. server.abc.com but then I also fear that doing this would then point my IP (11.22.33.44) to server.abc.com, instead of my site xyz.com (like I mentioned earlier if I enter this IP in browser, it opens my site xyz.com).

I am confused like hell. Please suggest if I should do use the hostname (server.abc.com) OR my site’s domain name (xyz.com) for reverse-DNS.

Thanks in advance.

Hello moderator, can you kindly answer this query? Thank you.

I am a little disappointed that nobody has still replied to this post. Is this really a difficult question or have I posted it in a wrong category?

Thank you.

Is this the same sitepoint.com that used to be 3-4 years back? It has been 2 days and nearly 200 views and still nobody has replied back to this post? Did I ask a difficult question? Moderator - please check this post and try to provide an answer. Disappointed.