Re-Approaching A Client Who Hired Someone Else

I was in talks with a client whom I know from working in their field. I have a lot of experience in what their business is. They’re rapidly growing and the website was terribly outdated. They told me that they are working on a new site, but are having an outside firm do the job and that they didn’t want someone in house working on it.

Well, come to find out they did end up hiring a full time employee to work their website. He went and set up a Wix site and has done an overall pitiful job on this site. It’s horrible. Over 1,000 html errors. The site is slow loading (every image is javascript loaded), and it doesn’t work on mobile.

My question is if you have any suggestions on how to approach the company again, tactfully, and try to win their business without offending them.

Thanks for any advice!

I think constructive criticism is key.

"Dear Client,

Congratulations on the launch of your new website. I was browsing through it today and noticed some errors and thought I’d bring them to your attention.

The issues I see are:

1)xxx
2)xxx
3)xxx

I likely would have done these slightly different to avoid these issues, I would be happy to offer my services to help improve the new site slightly."

Something of this sort? It’d go over pretty well with me.