Rebuilding indexes

Hi,
I just changed the format of a column from tinyint(1) to enum(‘0’, ‘1’), as this colum had an index on it, should I be rebuilding the index (drop and then create) or is MySql taking care of this?

Thanks,
Adrien

an index on a column that has only two values will likely not be used at all, because it isn’t selective enough

may i ask why you thought it necessary to make that change?

from a performance point of view, it’s a wash, but from a portability point of view, you’ve locked yourself into a proprietary mysql format that is not supported by other database systems

also, there is a ~real~ big problem with enums that happen to have string values like ‘0’ and ‘1’, it is too easy to make a coding error and get the wrong value

how easy is it, do you think, to write a php script which is sometimes just a wee bit lax in distinguishing between 0 and ‘0’? the difference here will kill ya

Hi r937,
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I had already done the switch, so when I read your post I switched over. I wished I had been more carful as a lot of my flags simply got f***ed! It took me a while to fix it all :slight_smile:
Anyway: I’m glad I’ve learned something new!

Adrien