Recommendations for the best way to build a community site for musicians with Joomla?

Hi, as the title says, I’m trying to figure out the best way to build a community site for amateur musicians. The functionality only needs to be fairly basic in that it will allow people to set up a public profile and interact with other users, and maybe upload some mp3 type files. I’d like to use joomla since I already know how it works but there are numerous plugins/components that seem to be for musical communities and I was wondering if anyone has any practical experience with any of them?

Also, if there’s a third party site that does this already, llike blgospot does for blogs, I see no point in re-inventing the wheel but again hope that someone can recommend on or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance, Rich

Edit: Dammit, made a spelling mistake in the thread title, don’t you hate that :stuck_out_tongue:

Fixed the error, moved the thread to CMS.

There was no error Linda, unless it was asking in the first place, and moving this thread won’t solve your problem.

Hi Rich, I dont now of any blogspot type sites (except for myspace but lets pretend that never EVER existed!) but there are facilities available to help musicians upload and store music.

One that I am looking into for a similar project is Soundcloud.com It lets users upload sound bytes and tracks to their server and link directly to it. I havent had chance to find an API or anything but its on my todo list.

You should be able to hook a joomla installation into it somehow.

Edit:

Linda meant fixed the error in your thread title

Thank you very much, I’ll check it out.

Ah… given that I’d just been given an infraction and was pretty pissed off about it I might be forgiven for the mnisunderstanding. But then I would have thought I’d have been forgiven in the first place for making what appeared to be a thread bump, but wasn’t.

Well, lucky for me, I don’t have a problem to solve and lucky for you that I moved this thread to a forum where you have already gotten one suggestion that may be fruitful. Sorry that you got miffed over the infraction, but I am of the opinion that rules work for either everyone or no one. You knew why you bumped the thread, but you didn’t make it clear in your one-word post. However, that 's all water under the bridge sine you found a friend who would reverse the infraction for you.

You should have PM’d me with that Linda. I think this thread can be closed now.

You should have kept the discussion private but you chose to bring it into the forums. Therefore, you reap what you sow.