Recommended validator

So far I’ve been using “validator.w3.org/” but it seems to have a few oddities, one of which is not regocnising

target="_blank"

Are there any online validators that are better?

What do you mean it doesn’t recognise the special value of target _blank that renders the link in a new, unnamed window, I suspect you are using HTML 4.01, it’s only available in Transitional.

The reason the validator doesn’t recognise it is probably that you have set a Strict doctype, and target="_blank" is not valid except with a Transitional doctype. The reason for this is that it is recommended not to force a new window, and if you insist on doing that then you should use Javascript to do it.

Thanks folks, that’ll be the problem then. Solution: not to worry.:cool:

I have a feeling it’s allowed in HTML5, but I’m not sure if I’m reading that gibberish right. There is an HTML5 validator that you could try: http://html5.validator.nu/

Yes, I would think validator.w3.org should be the standard for everyone. Don’t they actually publish the standards themselves?

But that’s kind of the point. HTML5 has not yet been published as a standard. It is still a draft, and will probably remain a draft for a good few years yet. Until it becomes published a standard, it would be wrong for W3 to provide a validator against something that isn’t a standard. Pages that are correct according to the current draft would appear to “pass” the validator, but might then become invalid when the standard is published in a slightly different form from the current draft, and that wouldn’t be acceptable.

Ahh, thanks Stevie D. I learn something new every day on here!