Red5 installation on server - failed to execute

I encounter a problem with instalation of Red5 on my VPS (Ubuntu 12.04).
Doing installation over SSH with Java installed.

I tried over Maven because I realized that newer versions of Red5 do not support installation over Apache Ant and Ivy. But even with old, when I need to execute prepare ant and ant dist, I have build.xml file not find message.

My server:
Apache Maven 3.0.4
Maven home: /usr/share/maven
Java version: 1.7.0_80, vendor: Oracle Corporation
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: ANSI_X3.4-1968
OS name: “linux”, version: “3.1.9-vs2.3.2.5vs2.3.2.5+”, arch: “amd64”, family:“unix”

What I did:

1. cd /usr/src
  2. wget https://github.com/Red5/red5-server/archive/v1.0.5-RELEASE.zip
  3. unzip v1.0.5-RELEASE.zip
  4. mv v1.0.5-RELEASE /usr/local/
  5. cd v1.0.5-RELEASE
  6. mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true install

After, I enter:
mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true install
Installation starts and after a while I have Build failed message. This is the error with I get:

Failed to execute goal on project red5-server: Could not resolve dependencies for project org.red5:red5-server:jar:1.0.5-RELEASE: Failure to find org:jaudiotagger:jar:2.0.4-SNAPSHOT in http://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of sonatype-snapshots has elapsed or updates are forced

How can I solve this? Do you have some other way installing Red5 and eventually configure it for video streaming?

If you’re just looking for video streaming, Red5 is one of the harder solutions and is intended more as a complete RTMP solution.

I have played around with this and found it fairly easy to use since it’s mostly based off ffmpeg. The hard part was figuring out how to compile a 3rd party module in to nginx, but that’s good knowledge to have anyway.

There are also these:

There there is Wowza, which is not free, but by far the easiest to use.

And of course WebRTC, but you shouldn’t use this if people don’t know the people they are connecting to (Chatroullete, Tinychat, etc) or have a bunch of people watching a single stream (Twitch, UStream, etc) because it’s Peer-2-Peer.

Thanks for such a nice explanation, Mawburn. Maybe you can give me an advice with some other thing also.
Flash player for webcam streaming.

I have installed Red5, and enabled RTMP so I can test it and live streaming from webcam works on Red5.

Therefore, the next thing is to implement this streaming into my webpages. I figure out to do that with Flowplayer, but it does not looks nice.

I was wondering, what is the most common player (free) for this? I need a player that will automatically play webcam live streaming from the client’s webcam when the client is online.

Some suggestions?

Use an open source and modify it yourself. I think this is the one I used, though I admittedly didn’t get very far with this part.

I used that one because it didn’t deal with ActionScript. :smiley:

I was wondering about RTMP Player. You told me that you did not mess with the action script?

But how this was connected to Red5?

I mean, what I want: User login, then they go to their account and they have a button or smth similar to Start webcam streaming. When they click that button, the streaming under their username should start on Red5 server.

So, did you achive smth like this? I mean, I am not sure what are the alternatives here?

The easiest way would be to use Open Broadcaster.

Otherwise, you’ll probably have to roll your own rtmp streamer in flash.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.