Redirect of SubDomain to a wholly other host

My knowledge and understanding of DNS is limited and spotty. So, perhaps what I am asking is merely impossible.

My client has existing shared hosting with several domain names. The one in question has some traffic already on the TLD.
I built a Rails app on Heroku. The shared hosting does not support Ruby-on-Rails :wall:
I need to redirect requests to a subdomain (in the client’s shared hosting) to the Heroku app (something.herokuapp.com). Heroku’s documentation indicates I cannot point to an IP address. It must be a CNAME record.

I am not really sure how/if/when/where this can be accomplished.

Thanks, in advance, for an advice and additionally for any edification on how this stuff with MX, A, CNAME stuff all interacts.

PT,

Maybe my knowledge of DNS is limited, too, but I do know that you can redirect subdomains (www et al, even mail - one of my clients uses a different mail server even though cPanel would have been) to another IP address. At that host, create your own CNAME record and you should be set.

Regards,

DK

It’s not an issue at all.

• Create new hosting account at Heroku with your desired subdomain, let’s say hrk.yourdomain.com. Find out what IP is used for that account. You can check with Heroku to get that information.
  • In your main host (or where you host nameservers for your domain), create an A record for hrk, point it to the above IP. Just wait for your DNS updates, then you are done.

Thanks for the response.
Sadly, Heroku does not provide visibility into an IP address. Secondly, this particular host does not allow access to edit ‘A’ records.
I am forced to map the subdomain to a directory, then place an ‘index.html’ file in that directory that contains the REDIRECT meta tag to the Heroku domain. YUCK!!!
But it works.