Rel and rev attribute problems

I am incorporating Magic Magnifier Plus for my client’s site. The rev and rel that the designers used is not valid and I am getting errors when validating the code. Is there any way to correct this without screwing up how everything works? The site is http://foxdenwebsolutions.com/discriminatingladyjewelry/raven_necklace.html. Please ignore the “shoe” reference…this is for jewelry and I am only making sure it works before changing out the image names. Also can anyone tell me how to place a border around the small thumbnail images? I want it to be the same as the larger image but not as wide. This seems to be using Flash and I was able to get one around the larger images but something seems funky with the thumbnails. Thanks.

If the attributes work, don’t worry about validation, as that’s just a guide.

You could do thumbnail borders like this:

.fivecol a img {border: 5px solid #6E8A95;}

Thanks Ralph. I actually changed the .fivecol to .fivecal detail so the image on the necklaces page does not have a border on it. It works.

I don’t like having errors in my code from the validation and I understand what you are saying, but is there any way to change them so the validation comes back clean?

rel=“” is normally OK to use. I’m not sure what the rev=“” is for, but I wonder if you need it at all. What happens if you delete it?

Removed both, tested. Removed rel, tested, Removed rev, tested. Looks like they are both needed to work with the image change hover feature and the zoom feature. GRRRRR. Well my code won’t be completely error free. Does not make me happy!

Rel is common, so I don’t know why it would throw errors, but the rev is weird, as I can’t see it being called in the script at all. O well, obvioulsy a reason. The validation issue is a non-issue, though. If it works, it’s OK.

Thanks Ralph. I will deal with it.

rel and rev

Click on rev to see it as an attribute to anchors.

WHATWG ditched it entirely and [url=http://dev.w3.org/html5/markup/a.html]W3C has obsoleted it and recommends rel instead.

I don’t recall any browser actually knowing or caring what either of them are or mean (on anchors), but rel’s used pretty commonly as a Javascript hook.