Reopening html in text edit

Hi everyone. I created an html on text edit, saved it, and closed it. I’m trying to reopen it, I cannot see the texts that I’ve written because the text edit screen is coming up all black. I don’t know why’s that happening and if anybody can help out, please…
I’m new to this.

“Text edit” is a bit vague – What editor are you using? Do you mean the editor that comes with a Mac by default? If so that’s all one word, and can often mangle trying to write HTML with it…

Hi jerrizzy. Welcome to SitePoint. :slight_smile:

TextEdit doesn’t display HTML by default, since it’s a rich text editor. So firstly, with TextEdit launched, go to TextEdit > Preferences. At the top of the Preferences box that then opens, there are two tabs—“New Document” and “Open and Save”.

Under New Document, choose Format: Plain text.

Under Open and Save, choose “ignore rich text commands in HTML files”, deselect “Add .txt extension to plain text files” (and manually type .html as an extension when you create and save a file).

Also, under HTML Saving Options, choose HTML 4.01 Strict as the Document type and Unicode (UTF-8) as the Encoding. Also make sure “Preserve white space” is selected.

That should fix things. :slight_smile:

Wow, you guys are number 1. Learn something new, Problem fixed. Thank you guys, beers on me.