Responsive design with vertical flyout menu

Hi

Im still getting to grips with responsive design and what I’ve been doing is buying templates - taking them apart to learn the whole thing but now I am trying to create a site that will have a vertical menu on the left which will expand to the right when a category is rolled over but I cant find anything like this anywhere.

So can this actually be done or is it not possible to do this - if someone could point me in the direction of a template like this I would appriate it. Ive seen a couple of wordpress ones but Im just looking for css/html

for example

menu item
menu item > >sub menu >> sub menu 1
menu item
I hope Ive made sense
thanks i nadvance

Hi,

Do you mean something like this?

th\ s exactly how I meant but I have no idea how to get it into my template and is it responsive do you know?

I can’t help with your templates as they all vary and I don’t use wordpress or anything like that but they will all have some mechanism to allow you to enter new code and new styles.

As far as responsive goes then you will need to build that into place. A flyout menu isn’t really something that would normally fit into a responsive site as you can’t really control the width easily at smaller window sizes. A flyout menu should revert to a normal menu at small screen sizes but that has to be designed from the ground up using media queries.

If you have a responsive site then you should probably go with something simpler and more manageable. The use of flyout menus is usually the sigh of an ill thought out menu structure in a site unless there are good reasons for it.