Return last_insert_id() to javascript

I am not sure if this is even possible but I have a page where an event can be added:

JS

$("#events-form").on("submit", function(e) {
    $.ajax({
        url        : "/admin/shop/add_event",
        type       : "post",
        data       : new FormData( this ),
        processData: false,
        contentType: false,
        cache      : false,
        success: function(data){  
        },
        error: function(data){            
        }
    });
     e.preventDefault();
});

PHP /admin/shop/add_event

public function add_eventAction()
{
    if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST')
    {
        $category_id      = filter_input(INPUT_POST, 'category_id', FILTER_SANITIZE_NUMBER_INT);
        $sub_category_id  = filter_input(INPUT_POST, 'sub_category_id', FILTER_SANITIZE_NUMBER_INT);
        $event_name       = filter_input(INPUT_POST, 'event_name', FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING);
        $event_date       = filter_input(INPUT_POST, 'event_date', FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING);

$event_id         = $this->shop->evenement_toevoegen($category_id,$sub_category_id,$event_name,$event_date);
    }
}

$event_id is representing the last_insert_id(). Now I am wondering if it is possible to pass this value back to the above Javascript to use in the succes function?

Thank you in advance

Sure you can do that.

Add

dataType: 'json',

to the $.ajax options

and return JSON object in your PHP action:

header('Content-Type: application/json');
echo json_encode(['id' => $event_id]);

after that you should be able to use data.id value in your success callback

Megazoid has answered the question but I just would like to add that what you are asking is what the success clause will do in ajax technique. success: function(data) returns all the php outputs in a single variable, and in your case it’s called data

usually in ajax php I do something like this:

<?php
$response = ''; // Initialize response

....Some codes here...

echo json_encode( $response ); // Return response
?>

The reason why I use json is because you can return arrays and complex objects via json encode, otherwise I think you can only return a simple variable

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.