Review for opencart

anyone using opencart.

if someone can compare and tell things from joomla, magento, opencart.
which is better

[FONT=Verdana]If you want any meaningful replies to your question, then you’ll need to give us some more information. What do you want to do with the software? What kind of e-commerce site are you running? How much experience do you have with CMS/shopping cart software? Have you used Magento or opencart before? If so, what did you like/not like about it?

Without giving us more information, all you’re likely to get is a string of replies saying “I prefer Magento” or “I like opencart”, not something that can help you decide which would be more appropriate for your situation. The more information you can give when asking a question, the more likely it is you’ll receive helpful replies. :)[/FONT]

i am running a ecommerce site on opencart. it is good, and easy to manage then magento, although its modules are little less and they are increasing each day. still i am thinking about scalibility, does magento have scalable solutions like having 100000 products?

Magneto is good, and easy to use.

You can go with joomla, opencart as well. But my suggestion is to go with Magneto.

Magento, Opencart and Prestashop are some of the best free CMS for ecommerce you’ll get. Which one best suits you, that’s up to you to decide. :slight_smile:
A lot of people have been going into Prestashop lately, as the last updates brought a lot of improvement to the CMS.

Magento is undoubtedly the best amongst these. Alternatively you could go with Joomla which offers you flexible designing but Open cart should be kept as the last option in this case.

Just curious–about Magento. I’ve heard it’s cumbersome and hard to modify. But perhaps that’s not much of a drawback. Drupal is hard to modify. But you can.

The drawback to Magento that concerns me is scalability. I don’t know if it’s true, but I have heard Magento gets slow as mollasses above a certain traffic threshold. Some forums are faster than others. So it wouldn’t surprise me if some carts are leaner and faster (and more scalable) than others.

i am on opencart and not able to find any opencart to magento importer for products and categories. is there any way to do it? cant switch manually as i have 26000 products

Do you write Perl? Familiar with Perl’s DBI and Mysql libraries? Writing your own converter is a big project. I am not familiar with the details of either system. But I have written forum converters from scratch. One way to do a forum conversion, from Forum A to Forum C, where an A to B converter exists, is to modify the A to B converter so it targets C instead of B.

Doing the whole thing from the ground up (in the forum case, which I did) took almost me a week. Perhaps a star programmer could have done it in a day. If you are getting paid by the hour, a week is better than a day.

Thanks pittendrigh , i am not that good coder. but you gave me direction atleast. ill search a developer on perl to see if i can get this done.
Also, great job done on your converter. must have been difficult. a week development time is no problem if you get to learn things. next time for sure you would take 1 day less :slight_smile:

You could try using the product cart2cart? This is an online service which can migrate between different cart platforms. Opencart to Magento is a supported option according to their website. Haven’t tried how well it works going to Magento and what modules are supported/not supported, but it would be worth checking out as an alternative to hiring someone to custom code you a migration.

Magento uses a common relational database anti-pattern called EAV(entity-attribute-value) which has inherit scalability and performance flaws. So in that regards the answer to your question would be Magento will will require increasingly more hard-ware behind it as the database/number of products increases. Though that is something that you are likely going to find with any generic ecommerce platform. Most of them use EAV because of the power it offers in flexibility without modifying the database structure. Most of them can get around EAV flaws for small to medium sized sites using various levels of caching. However, it is no where near ideal and is the price paid for using generic ecommerce software. If you already have a site running on Magento the simplest option is to invest in more hardware resources. Hardware resources *can offset the load/performance of excessive caching and database queries inherit to all the major generic ecommerce packages. far from ideal but probably costing significantly less than building a proper custom solution with a properly normalized database avoiding eav and excessive database queries.