RewriteRule with empty REQUEST_URI to a specific file- PHP Static file caching solution

Problem:
I have been trying to write a RewriteRule with an empty REQUEST_URI for quite some time. (If the REQUEST_URI is not empty I have had no problems.)

Ironically:
I decided to create this post and while in the composing process tried just one more search without success… I had a sudden brain wave and delighted to say that this works:

.htaccess

DirectoryIndex  MY_CACHE_FOLDER/cached/home  index.php

# RewriteEngine On 
# Maybe in Cache?
  RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/MY_CACHE_FOLDER/cached/%{REQUEST_URI} -f
  RewriteRule ^(.+)$ /MY_CACHE_FOLDER/cached/$1 [QSA,L]

# No Cache file so fall through and use PHP Framework
RewriteCond $1 !^(index\.php|robots\.txt|favicon\.ico|Sitemap\.xml)
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [L,NC,QSA]

I am curious to know if there could be any problems or if there is a better solution to the above script.

Reason for the extra .htaccess script:
Today I had a eureka for making a page load faster

Hi John!

It’s odd to see the forward reference in your second block’s first RewriteCond … but that’s perfectly acceptable!

First block: No need for the QSA flag as that’s automatic (as long as you don’t create a new query string).

Second block: You’ve been around long enough to know that I have definite problems with two items there:

1. ^(.)$ is the same thing (when called from the DocumentRoot) as Apache’s %{REQUEST_URI} variable so why not use it instead (replace both $1’s and change ^(.)$ to .? to guarantee a match (after the three RewriteCond statements match).

2. NEVER use the No Case flag on a %{REQUEST_URI} variable (i.e., a RewriteRule statement) and, again, you’re not creating a new query string so the QSA isn’t needed either.

Regards,

DK

Many thanks for your reply.

It is late here so I will try your recommendations tomorrow and let you know the results.

Back again after trying your recommendations and they all seem to work fine, thank you.

# This Directive will make Apache look first
DirectoryIndex /MY_CACHE_FOLDER/cached/home index.php

RewriteEngine on

# Maybe in cached folder?
  RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/MY_CACHE_FOLDER/cached/%{REQUEST_URI} -f
  RewriteRule ^(.+)$ /MY_CACHE_FOLDER/cached/$1 [L]

# CodeIgniter PHP Framework
  RewriteCond $1 !^(index\.php|robots\.txt|favicon\.ico|Sitemap\.xml|Sitemap-static\.xml)
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^(.?)$  index.php/$1 [L]

As you may see from the above CodeIgniter PrettyUrls are used and if and only if the http_response_code() is set to 200 then the generated file is saved to MY_CACHE_FOLDER.

New Question:
Is it possible to also redirect /index.php to /MY_CACHE_FOLDER/cached/home file?

Hi John!

'Glad that the earlier post helped.

As for your code …

I’ve never seen a DirectoryIndex refer to two different directory levels (and the leading / MAY be telling Apache to use the server root [THEN the DocumentRoot] - so I’m not sure whether this will work as intended. Very interesting, though, so please comment on its success (after masking index.php). BTW, can “home” be served as a file???

The first RewriteRule block is simply redirecting to your cache IF the {REQUEST_URI} exists in the cache. I’m a bit puzzled, though, why you didn’t use %{REQUEST_URI} in the recirection (with .? for the regex) when you’d used it in the RewriteCond. It’s not wrong but seems like “changing horses in mid-stream.”

The second RewriteRule block leaves me confused … because of the index.php in the first condition and redirecting to index.php/index.php. Can that be correct?.Is index.php a “request handler” which looks at the URI trailing index.php (and with Options +MultiViews - argh, I hate that, too, 'cause it causes too many problems placing files - with or without extensions - in the path)… By the same token, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

Of course it is (possible to redirect index.php to the cache/home file - assuming that Apache knows what to do with “home”). Simply change the name of “home” to index.php and your first RewriteRule will do that for you OR add a duplicate block specifying index.php (rather than %{REQUEST_URI} and home rather than $1. I’m not sure how the cache will treat the MultiViews of the now third RewriteRule block, though.

Regards,

DK

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.