ROFLMAO (Revealing Of the Funny and Laughable Misunderstood Acronyms Online)

It all started this morning when @katja_bak took a straw poll on the meaning of FTW:

BTW FWIW :eggplant: is our “awkward eggplant”… @Ophelie thought I should mention that.

DW, I did get a WTF look for that pun, and IMHO, it was perforated — tearable.

Enough of that, I want to hear if you’ve misunderstood or just had NFI of the meaning of an initialism or acronym, K?

TTYL

3 Likes

To be fair, ftw is one of the few that existed before the internet (that I know of).

And it meant “F*** the World” :smile: Biker gangs had it on their jackets.

1 Like

TBQH I really enjoy internet acronyms. But sometimes they just go way over my head, as I said. ‘SMH’ is the prime example of that - I didn’t know what it meant til a month ago. I would sit there pondering why someone would just end snarky tweet with ‘Sydney Morning Herald’.

I also wonder, when people say these acronyms out loud IRL, how do they say them? Do they say them at all, since it’s sort of redundant? Or do they say them letter by letter? Or does it slur into something like “teebs” for ‘TBH’ (to be honest). OR do people do what I do, and smoosh the letters together and make that a word? SMH in this way sounds something like ‘smuhhhh’. TBH = ‘tuhbuhhuh’. IRL = ‘errrrl’.

TL;DR: TBH, IMHO, IDK RN. WTF? SMH.

1 Like

Abbreviations in writing go back a long way, to medieval manuscripts and beyond. Back in my misspent youth I had to read some of this stuff, and the abbreviations there were harder to read than in modern text messages. Only a few survive in modern times, like &, etc., e.g., viz., c. and so on.

Gotta love the confusion that can come from misinterpreted abbreviations, though. The LOL during bereavment is a classic. :stuck_out_tongue:

SMH?

I’ve seen it before, and I’m sure worked out what it was, but right now it escapes me

1 Like

I always thought FTW was just a politically correct spelling of WTF :blush:

2 Likes

I shake my head at you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Makes you really feel for dyslexics, doesn’t it!

Makes sense…

I always thought it was for those with OCD and had to have the letters in alphabetical order… :confused:

I was talking to a friend (recently-retired telephone engineer) the other day, and we agreed we must be getting old, because when we see the initials STD, we immediately think “Subscriber Trunk Dialling”.

1 Like

I have a similar problem with the abbreviation for Point of Sales…

1 Like

Unfortunately, often times, both typical meanings are appropriate :frowning:

You don’t see it online, but my favourite is PCMCIA. People Can’t Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms. OR, Personal Computer Memory Card Industry Association, depending upon your place in the world. :open_mouth:

V/r,

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m rather fond of PEBKAC—an abbreviation for the most common cause of computer-related problems.

I don’t think I’ll ever read this one right. They need a new acronym for that. For me it’s like trying to use WTF for something else.

That and the “Eye Dee Ten Tee” prognosis.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s amazing - I first heard that abbreviation almost 20 years ago, and it amazes me just how many people in our industry don’t know what it means.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a PEBKAC / ID10T problem, no doubt. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t :slight_smile: