Ruby and PHP, a question just for curiosity

Hello,

https://humancoders-formations.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/course/logo/1/formation-ruby-on-rails.png

I’m now learning PHP, and in fact I’m learning faster, and in few days I will learn about Laravel. So, why I’m here now ?

Just for curiosity about Ruby, is that possible to know why you choose it ? how much it is difficulte ? it is need a normale Apache server or something else dedicated for it ? is that possible to code with it like pho by using PHPStrom, CodeAnywhere, … or we should writing everything by Terminal or command lines ? and it is dedicated for what exactly ?

For example to build a large website, or maybe just to make some plugin, …

Thank you for your feedback,

Congratulations on your fast learning with PHP and [soon?] Laravel.

You can get an opinion of Ruby very quickly with TryRuby.
To answer your question about Rails, there are innumerable discussions across the web.
Here and here are the first two hits from a simple Google Search.

The Ruby community believes the language has a focus on “Developer Happiness”. Having written code in numerous languages (far back to Fortran and Cobol, for example) I do agree that Ruby has very low friction.

Best of luck on your quest to learn more. I encourage you to explore Ruby a bit.

Hello Parkin,

First of all, thank you so much for your time and help. and sorry for the delay of my answer, as I was following your advice carefully. So about

I gave it a try and I’m at level 5 of 7 now. This language is so funny and easy to learn, but as I read before here, the author has not the same opinion. So is TryRuby.org is just to give a sample look of the language, just to make the buzz for its sponsor, I mean Code School, or really Ruby is easy to learn ?

I saw the both links, interesting, but the following video in the second article of the second link is really interesting :

I just discovered that the speaker is David Heinemeier Hansson, the creator of Ruby on Rails :wink: so he is the best one to talk about his product, and for that I can’t easily judge.

Hello again and again,

Do you know that you are like my friends here ? for that I really like to come back between time and time, to
take a break and get your advices.

Let me ask again a new question, so you answer when you have a moment :

I’m better and better in PHP, and now learning Laravel framework. I have also tested Ruby with TryRuby.org ( Thanks to Parkin ). So, what I don’t understand till now, that a lot of discussions over the interenet, present Ruby on Rails against PHP, like someone present Apple against Microsoft, really it is not a joke, this is what I’m reading day after day :slight_smile: So…

Is that true that because php very easy to code, and got a lot of interest from younger programmers (maybe to make quickly some nice script, or tools to make money) that it makes PHP less important of Ruby ?

Hello there :smile:

PHP is okay, I “grew up” on it, it gets better with every update. More importantly Laravel looks really awesome, it is so nice to see Rails leak out into other languages (and vice versa).

That being said, I personally missed some of the language features that Ruby has, missed Bundler and the comnunity. But PHP has caught up, there is Composer, Tracy and Twig and other more or less excellent tools.

You know what? Don’t pay too much attention to the Ruby/Rails/PHP wars, it all comes down to your own experimentation and preferences. PHP is weird at times, but so is Ruby.

I really like Ruby’s dynamicity which enables you to do nice looking DSLs or plugins, PHP is more strict in this respect.

Ask more if you want. :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.