Ruby and Rails-esque development on iOS

I just discovered this magnificent new product and wanted to share it.

RubyMotion is a very well documented (and apparently well-written) tool to develop native iOS applications with Ruby.
They have modeled the Rails framework and constructed a command-line tool that leverages the familiar RAKE command.

There are already numerous sample programs and very good ‘tutorial’ documentation.
This product so impressed me that I purchased a license immediately. As I make progress, playing and experimenting, I will post some more.

I have been able to spend a little time with this product recently and it still impresses me.
The one thing, though, that ‘steepens’ the learning curve is a need to fully understand the iOS framework and GUI toolkit. Much of the syntax has been molded to Ruby (although, to their credit, you can easily mix-and-match between Objective-C and Ruby) but the fundamental structure - of course - is still iOS.

The samples provided on Github offer a great variety of techniques and ideas from which to learn and to build.

I wonder if anyone else has had some contact with RubyMotion or has any ideas/impressions to offer.

I haven’t tried RubyMotion before, in fact this is the first I’ve heard of it.

I’ve used Appcelerator which is a similar premise but it compiles html/javascript into native iOS controls.

These days I prefer to make web applications using web technologies, so I’m more inclined to use PhoneGap if I need access to the hardware or app stores. Native apps aren’t really my thing :slight_smile: