Ruby-debug gem install (Chapter 11)

Simply Rails 2 2nd edition chapter 11

Installing ruby-debug

I would appreciate help on how to install this gem.

Here’s the output I got (rails -v=Rails 2.3.5, Windows XP, ruby console)

C:\\InstantRails\\rails_apps\\[COLOR="Blue"]shovell-debug-02[/COLOR]>[COLOR="SeaGreen"]gem install ruby-debug
[/COLOR]Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing ruby-debug:
        ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

C:/InstantRails/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
creating Makefile

nmake
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/r
uby-debug-base-0.10.3 for inspection.
Results logged to C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-debug-base-0.
10.3/ext/gem_make.out

:sick:

I think your problem might be InstantRails. I myself and quite a few others here in the forum seem to have had problems with it.

I gave up on InstantRails and installed the components separately and even though I had a few hurdles I did manage to get everythng working OK.

It’s been a while so I’ve forgotten the actual steps I took, but I think if you try to install everything separately too you’ll have better luck.

Well in fact it did not. Othervise I wouldn’t have started a thread about it.
Here’s the command to run server with debug

C:\\InstantRails\\rails_apps>cd coal

C:\\InstantRails\\rails_apps\\coal>ruby script/server --debugger
=> Booting Mongrel
=> Rails 2.3.5 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
You need to install ruby-debug to run the server in debugging mode. With gems, u
se 'gem install ruby-debug'

C:\\InstantRails\\rails_apps\\coal>

You are welcome to suggest something entirely different. Maybe I should re-install InstantRails or I don’t know. I couldn’t get “searchlogic” gem to work. I followed railscast about it but when I tried to edit config/environtment.rb then I couldn’t start the server. Of course reverting changes fixes that.

AFAIK “nmake” is a *nix thing. Could it be the gem installed OK even with those error messages?