Ruby Newcomer

Just recently installed Ruby for the purpose of developing extensions for SpiceWorks. However, this is my first ever experience with Ruby since its update to its new form (last time touched was at least 3 years ago when there’s no such thing as Webrick server). What I had noticed was, when I start the Webrick server, if I generate a new controller, I would receive a routing error until I restart the Webrick server. So that means for every test of modification I would need to restart the Webrick server, is that true? If it is, it would seem to be very tedious. Thanks.

UPDATE: Something I found really odd is that without restarting server, the new controller would only take effect after a while. Maybe I have done something during this time, but I don’t know. Does anyone what’s the possible problem?

The system is pretty good at handling modifications. Usually, if you modify an existing controller then you don’t have to reboot the webrick server. Also the system handles creating new models and view templates without needing a reboot. But as you have found, you usually need to reboot the server after creating a new controller, and the same if you add a new class to lib.

Oh! and pre-webrick is more like 5 years ago! Have a look at Mongrel:

http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

Its more often used as the default development server.