Ruby on Medicine: Converting DICOM to JPG

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/ruby-on-medicine-converting-dicom-to-jpg/

This article will be the first article in the Ruby on Medicine (RoM) series focused on how Ruby can be applied to the medical domain.

In this tutorial, I will show you how to convert a DICOM file to a JPG image, which allows us to perform different operations on that image, which we will see in upcoming articles of this series.

Continue reading this article on SitePoint

Great overview and intro on working with DICOM file format!

Thanks for your nice comment. Glad you liked the article. Stay tuned for more to come.

What I find interesting and frustrating about DICOM is many imagers include the HUD in the actual image component of the file. DICOM is full of metadata, and, for example, the Phillips ultrasound units our baby scans have been done with include patient name and data in the image.

Loading these images up in something like OsiriX (a DICOM viewer for mac) then go ahead and superimpose the metadata in the DICOM file over the metadata visually-encoded in the image . Yo dawg, I herd u liek metadata! Sigh.

Interesting article! I’m starting an application which will have to handle DICOM and so forth. Looking forward for the next episodes @abderhasan

Glad you liked the article. Stay tuned!

I am really excited to see someone trying to bring ruby to the Medical sector :smile:
Thank you Abd al Rahman.

You are very welcome Baraa! Very happy with your comment, and glad you liked the article. Please stay tuned for more articles to come in this series.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.