Running jQuery in the browser console

I have a small click script that works when a button is clicked. I cant seem to figure out after googling and reading numerous stackoverflow question and answers how to run my script in the browser console. It seems from what I gathered to type the function and parameter followed by a semicolon. But I cant get it to trigger that way. Here is my script -

$(".cta").click(function() {
    $("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: $("#footer").offset().top }, 500);
    console.log('executed scrollToElement');
    return true;
	});

What do I need to type to run it in the console? This is killing me that I cant seem to figure this out. I am pretty novice with jQuery and Javascript. I have been reading some of the Sitepoint recommended books. And even doing some other stuff. But working with the console is a bit tricky it seems in it self. Am I right or wrong?

Hi there,

Given the following page:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8">
    <title>A very boring page</title>
  </head>

<body>
    <button id="myDiv">Click me!</button>
    <script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.10.2/jquery.min.js"></script>
  </body>
</html>

If you open it in your browser (Chrome for me) and click on the button, nothing happens.

Then if you open the console by presisng F12 -> Console.
Then copy paste the following code:

> $("#myDiv").on("click", function(){ alert("Yay!"); });

Note: it can be on multiple lines, no problem.

You should see:

[<button id=&#8203;"myDiv">&#8203;Click me!&#8203;</button>&#8203;]

Now if you click on the button you will see an alert.

Note: You very probably don’t need the return true in the code you posted.

Thanks for the reply, I also didnt think about I had a wrapper around the function. And it wasnt globally accessible. Noob problems. But I do want to add another animation to this. If I want an element to bounce after the first function is finished running how would I add that to my code? I found a few examples on stack overflow. But couldnt seem to put it together with this.

When you animate something using the jQuery library, you have the opportunity to specify a callback, which is run when the animation finishes. This can of course be another animation.

This should illustrate the point:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8">
    <title>Animate with callback</title>
    <style>
      header{ background: red; height:500px; }
      div{ background: blue; height: 5000px; }
      footer{ background: yellow; height: 500px; }
    </style>
  </head>

<body>
    <header></header>
    <div></div>
    <footer></footer>

<script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.10.2/jquery.min.js"></script>  
    <script>
      $("body").animate({ scrollTop: $("footer").offset().top }, 3000, function(){
        alert("Done");
      });
    </script>
  </body>
</html>