SagePay basket system - BILLING ADDRESS - how to retrieve

Hi there,

Currently we do not ask for the customers billing address on our web site. Instead the customer enters this information on the SagePay Card Processing Form.

We are planning to use MySQL tables for processing of orders. The problem is SagePay have said they cannot send us the Billing Address! Is this true? I was told by another colleague a week ago that it is possible! So I thought I would ask here too.

The way around this problem is to ask the customer to enter the billing address on our web site.

What is the best way, in your experience?

Also can I add a tick box that says “tick here if billing address is same as the delivery address” THAT ALSO COPIES THE DELIVERY ADDRESS INTO THE BILLING ADDRESS BOXES? If this is not possible without Javascript, how can I code it to say, if the box is ticked the billing address is the same as the delivery address. OTHERWISE THE BILLING ADDRESS WILL BE SEND AS A NOTHING (since the customer ticked the box and did not write in a billing address).

Thanks,

Matthew.

Why do you need the billing address? You’re not the one doing the billing.

When we print their invoice/receipt we include their billing address. At the moment it is typed up…now we are looking to make more streamlined with a database and some sort of mail merge…so we need the billing address!

Matt.

You’ll have to gather the billing address from the customer. The payment processor cannot share that information with you but they can verify it. By giving this information as part of the transaction you build up a case against a fraudulent charge claim. If you are expecting repeat business you can store the billing (and the shipping address) in your database.

By the by, the correct nomenclature for the point of delivery is the “shipping address”

Not sure i understood any of that, but whatever…

If SagePay wont send the billing data back to you, then you’ll have to collect it yourself. As far as filling in the billing data from the shipping data… in order to do it on the same screen, yes, you will need Javascript.
Doesnt stop you from putting the checkbox there, and doing a simple check on the next PHP screen -

if(isset($_POST['checkbox'])) { //Billing == Shipping }
elseif(!isset($_POST['billingaddrstreet1'])) { //Problem - field left blank. }
else { //Billing = seperate address, filled in. }

By law they can’t. Privacy laws and all that. They can verify the information is true, but they cannot share that information without prior authorization.

Look around at other sites. If a billing address is obtained by the merchant it’s because they provided somewhere for the customer to provide that information.

Off Topic:

yeah the first line of my post was in response to Matthew, and me being mostly asleep still. Was responding to his post while you were posting yours ^^