Saying Goodbye to iPhone. Any Suggestions?

Hi guys, iPhone user here since the 1st-gen is released back in 2007 or 2008? But I’ve decided I want to switch and try other phones, yea Android probably.

Any suggestions? I’m thinking Samsung S5

I have the S3 and no complaints It’s a solid choice IMO. I plan on sticking with Galaxy when I upgrade (6 might be out when I upgrade)

1 Like

The Samsung Galaxy series are good smartphones. I also have a first generation Moto X and like it.

1 Like

Samsung Galaxy Centura…mine is awesome

1 Like

Nice suggestions, I’m looking for something that runs on the highest version of Android which is Kitkat 4.4? Correct me if I’m wrong, it’s really my first time using an Android.

The Samsung Galaxy series are good smartphones.

S4 was not. It has terrible reviews and everyone I’ve known to have one has hated it. My wife lasted 3 weeks with hers before switching to a Moto G (not Moto X) which is technically a downgrade, but it’s a much better phone. The S2, S3, and S5 are great though. We also have the Galaxy 8 tablet, which is pretty nice.

Personally, I have a Nexus 5 and highly suggest it or Nexus 6 coming out very soon.

Nice suggestions, I’m looking for something that runs on the highest version of Android which is Kitkat 4.4? Correct me if I’m wrong, it’s really my first time using an Android.

The Nexus line is Google’s phone, it gets the latest Android before any other phone out there and is pretty cheap for a no-contract unlocked version at $400.

The only thing that’s weird about is that the SMS/MMS app is apparently done by the manufacturer. Since the Nexus is a “clean” phone it only has Google Hangouts for the SMS, which is freaking terrible and will flip flop back and forth between SMSing people and sending them messages on Google Hangouts. I had to pay $3 for ChompSMS to get real texting back, but it’s actually the best SMS app I’ve ever had after having flagship phones from HTC and Samsung in the past.

Nexus 6

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed suggestion!

Related discussion

I’ve had 2 Samsung phones (Galaxy Ace and Galaxy S Plus), and I’m never going Samsung again! Their skin looks like it was inspired by a candy shop, I just can’t take it seriously. And the bloatware… Seriously, there is so much crap on those phones that even the first you time you boot you have like 1 byte of memory free. The rest is used by useless junk apps you’ll never even use. A friend of mine had an S3 and it broke down within a year. Just bogged down under its own weight.

So instead I’ll join @mawburn in recommending the google Nexus. Or otherwise have a look at the Sony Xperia line. I have a Sony Xperia T myself, and I’m very happy with it. It’s pretty close to stock android (i.e., it doesn’t have a candy skin), and it’s really snappy and responsive.

My next phone will be either a Nexus or another Xperia (if I were to buy one right now I think I’d go for the Xperia Z3 compact).

1 Like

To be honest, I had a Samsung Galaxy (SII, SIII and now SIV) and I never had a problem. My S4 is more than one year old and it runs perfectly. My S3 was a better phone, to be honest, but I have no complaints with S4.

A friend of mine bought a Nexus (she was moving away from iPhone) and returned it within two weeks.

I guess horror movies can be writtern for any phone.

I do have to say that the S Health (the application for sports and weight control) is the envy of everyone around me. True to be said, I know that there’s a similar app for iPhone… it is suggested in their ad… only that nobody knows which app it is :smile:

A friend of mine bought a Nexus (she was moving away from iPhone) and returned it within two weeks.

Probably the SMS thing. It’s really weird and off putting to realize that there isn’t a good native SMS App at first. Especially since using Google Hangouts is so terrible, I don’t know what the crap they were thinking trying to push that as the texting app.

Before my Nexus, I thought that the SMS App was part of Android itself.

ChompSMS is good though, it’s like $3 for the full version but there is a free version with ads… but who wants ads on their texting screen? Chomp isn’t the only one of course, there are plenty of other highly rated options. I evaluated a few of them before deciding on this one. I felt like all the others tried to do too much.

It’s called Health. It’s the last app on my phone (pictured).

I’ll be sticking with iPhones, because I don’t like choice … but I’m not happy that they are getting so big. I prefer the size of my little iPhone4. My inlaws have a range of Android phones that look quite nice, but I’m still not tempted to move away from what I have.

While I’m stoked about it. I have the 6+ and it’s fantastic. I don’t really use it to talk, so it’s more like a mini-mini ipad, which is perfect for me.

Yes, that’s kind of my issue with it. If I’d wanted something that big in my pocket, I’d have slipped my iPad in there. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do a lot of outdoor work, and the bigger the phone is, the more awkward it will be to carry around and not get in the way. I’d have preferred it if Apple had made a 6+ for people who want something large and stuck with a smaller size for the regular version, rather than making them both quite large.

Well…at least I can change a battery if mine goes bad. iPhone users will just have a dead phone.

That’s where Apple and Microsoft are the same. They “Think” they know best what the customer wants.

Or a brand new phone under their replacement policy :wink:

What was so bad about the s4? I heard nothing about these bad reviews. What was broken about it?

Well…at least I can change a battery if mine goes bad.

This isn’t true for most Androids now.

What was so bad about the s4? I heard nothing about these bad reviews. What was broken about it?

I could cherry pick some bad reviews, but I can’t remember now. My wife got her’s sometime around when they were released and I remember reading a lot of bad reviews. I remember there were quite a few things that were wrong with it, the only one I can remember off the top of my head is that they are extremely prone to cracked screens even with high dollar protective cases.

So…
I just got home from the mall and got this Samsung Nexus Prime. Unboxing right now!
I asked the salesman how he can rate this phone and he said 7/10? So not the best but I think this is a good device for me to start a relationship with an Android. :smile:

Will share my experience later :blush:

2 Likes