Scan website installation for malware/viruses

The hosting company has disabled the ability to send emails from our PHP webspace because an excessive amount of email has been sent through it.

They recommend to: Download a copy of the website locally and run a virus scan on it to find out where the malicious code may be.

My question is now what programme I should use to do a scan an a Mac. Just a regular old anti virus scan programme? Will that deal with website files and malicious code? I don’t currently have an anti virus programme installed on my Mac.

Also, there’s a MySQL database for this webspace. Does this also need to be looked at, and how would I go about doing this?

Many thanks.

ALL computers should have up-to-date antivirus software installed irrespective of what OS they use.

Are all apps (and any plugins) up to date?

Run anti-virus and anti-malware/spyware scans on your local computer

Change any passwords that you use to access the site

Use Avast for Mac ( google for it )

Also scan you website with an online scanner like sucuri.net ( not sure it that is the right URL ).

DoOwnload your website to a SEPARATE directory from your master files and compare (there are good programs for WinDoze - not sure about Mac but you can Google for those). If you’re running PHP, look at PHP files having a weird script PREpended to the files. Also look at JS scripts.

THEN look for a good host! I have my host running “maldet” scans on a CRON with the results posted to me.

Regards,

DK