Section of HTML5 Herald site not showing in Firefox

In the HTML5 & CSS3 book, for the test site http://thehtml5herald.com the section on the right column that says “HTML5 and CSS3 Now in Book Form” with the Bicycle moving off and then “Where in the World Are You?” and the button that says “Tell Us!” do not show up in Firefox and I can’t figure out why. I see it in IE8, Chrome, and Opera but not in Firefox. I have Firefox 6.0. Anyone know why it’s not there?

Shows up fine for me in FF6 (Mac).

Strange. I’m viewing it in FF6 (Windows XP). I refreshed, restarted. Nothing. I can’t figure out why it’s not showing up. Everything else is.

Ok so I downloaded the code archive file for the book and when I open the index.html file I can see the part that I’m missing online. It’s also asking me at the top of my browser “This website () is asking to store data on you computer for offline use” then 3 buttons “Allow”, “Never for this Site”, “Not Now”. So first, why does that message pop up? I don’t think a user would feel very safe if that message were to pop up on a real site. So I’d like to know what’s causing that message. Second, I think maybe for the online site I must have selected either “Not Now” or “Never for this Site”??? Maybe that’s why the “Put Your Dukes Up Sire” all the way down to the “Tell Us” button aren’t showing up??? If I did block something how do I “Allow” it now?

Well after looking at it again…I don’t think it has anything to do with the offline storage. But for some reason that section of the site shows only in the local page on my computer but not online. Not sure why. Anyone else using FF6 on a PC have this problem?

One feature of HTML5 is offline storage of a web page, so that you can revisit the page if you are not connected to the web. As you say, I’m not really sure how this will play out in future, as many people won’t understand what it’s for and will not trust it. The other problem is that it’s quite an annoying popup.

Welcome to the future.

I attached a screen shot of what the online site looks like in my FF6 browser (PC)

Is there a way you can simply not include the offline storage feature. Because I know not all sites built with HTML5 show that message. I think for now I’d prefer not to have that on a site I build simply because like you said people won’t trust it. It seems like it could be helpful but that message from the browser is rather sketchy looking to most people.

I’ve tested this on FF 5 and 6 on Windows, and the page renders fine for me. :confused:

I don’t know much about this, but I gather that, to allow for offline storage of you site, you need to add this in your <html> element:

manifest=“cache.manifest”

e.g.

<html class="no-js" lang="en" [COLOR="#FF0000"]manifest="cache.manifest"[/COLOR]>

So if you don’t put that in, the user won’t get the view offline message.

Very strange. I don’t know why my browser is not showing that section. Anyone else have any ideas??? This is really bazaar.

Ok thanks. I’ll look into that.

It might be some plugin blocking the content; do you have something like Adblock Plus running because on my Fx Adblock Plus is nicely disabling: #ad1, #ad2 and #ad3 until I disable it, and then I can see those silly Bicycle advert demos, etc. :wink:

That was it!! Thank you! I disabled Adblock Plus on just that site. So because those divs have the word “ad” in them it just blocked them. I see. That was just really buggin me. Thanks so much!

No worries, at least Adblock Plus is doing it’s job - even if they were fake adverts. :wink:

Yes indeed. I love Adblock Plus. I usually don’t even know what I’m “missing” or should I say “not deprived of” :wink: until I view the same page on someone elses computer.