Semantic UI 1.2: A New Version with Lots of New Features

I haven’t tested the framework in this article yet so my comments below relate to frameworks in general.

Yes I find that for personal projects and psd to html conversions for clients (my main work) that frameworks are never suitable and would cost me too much time to utilize and to bend to my requirements. It takes less than a day to convert quite a complicated psd into compact css and html that a framework could never compete with this.

However, for larger projects and projects where a team is working on the project then a framework can be useful because it sets a standard that you can all follow (as long as everyone follows the rules).

In many cases though I find that the actua grids offered by all these frameworks are next to useless when dealing with clients designs thrown into the mix. The grid never works as you want and the breakpoints don’t match the design breakpoints.

I have used bootstrap on a large project and found it very useful but as far as the grid code goes I never use it because I prefer display:table-cell to floats anyways and then have no clearing or float dropping issues. The rest of the framework is useful where you can drop in all manner of ready made elements (buttons, tooltips, popups, accordions etc) which for a large project do save time and you end up with a consistent format where other team members may also be working on the site.