SEO and Youtube

I read somewhere that it was a good idea to embed a youtube video on a website as Google preferred this. Is this still the case or does it not matter where the video is hosted?

Why would embedding a video make Google prefer your site?

The answer is no. This has never been the case and will probably never be the case. If something doesn’t make logical sense to you then it’s probably false information.

I understood that Google has a relationship with YouTube and also it meant that the site had a better chance of showing when they went into Google search and clicked either the YouTube link or videos at the top of the page

It is always best practice to produce your own video and host it, but recently Google starting indexing and ranking pages with YouTube videos embedded in them. This is a drastic change, since Google used to not rank pages that had YouTube videos embedded in them.

http://www.reelseo.com/embedded-youtube-indexed-google/

Google doesn’t rank pages if you have embedded YouTube page,there is no logic in embedding it.

Nonsense. Imagine the outcry if Google started preferring sites that ran its own services. They would be opened up for anti-competitive behaviour and would suffer dearly.

Why on earth would you host your own videos? It’s extremely rare for anyone to ever do that any more.

I wouldn’t trust a website called “reelseo” at all. As I’ve stated above such a move would open Google up to anti-trust litigation faster than you can blink.

Hi Hlforr,

Actually you are kinda correct with the concept. Google loves all its services and when you are active on its services, you have got some value on Google. So, whether you have a Youtube video on your website or not, make a video or a simple tutorial and submit it to youtube and promote it on popular social networking websites. This would obviously give a good value to your website optimization efforts.

A couple of clarifications:

1. When I say host your own videos, I mean host it under your own domain name. This does not mean it has to be on your own web server. There are many options out there for hosting video pretty inexpensively: Amazon, etc and it can still be under your domain name.

2. Second, reelseo.com has been around for many years, and is a well respected site when it comes to video SEO, so not trusting it based on the name would be judging it without researching their quality.

Google indexing and ranking pages that have embedded YouTube videos on them is what their research has found. I agree that the practice seems shady and could open up a can or worms, but they are only reporting what they have seen happening.

Can you clarify? It sounds as if you’re talking about a CDN, but these are rarely from your own domain name.

I’ve been here for many years and I’ve never seen it around. Regardless, I took a quick look over the site and it looks like yet another SEO blog. The entire point of SEO is market knowledge so I don’t need to research the quality of a SEO blog to know if what they are saying is quack science or not.

My argument against that is that their “research” is often a crock of **** because it is impossible to correctly isolate Google in order to come up with valid research. How can you claim to research on a search algorithm when you cannot control how it changes?

Give this a good read, and you’ll see that SEO “studies” wouldn’t hold up in a first-year statistics class.

The site seo-theory.com has numerous articles about the fallacies and short comings of SEO tests, and even though they are never 100% conclusive we need to continue to be researching and testing in order to improve our craft.

The key point in your post is “they are never 100% conclusive”.

If they aren’t conclusive how can we call it research? Simply testing this a few times on a YouTube video isn’t proving anything for the wide range of users that read their blog.

As I’ve said on here numerous times, along with many other users that have experience with SEO those that know what they are doing find their own evidence and learn through their own research what works for them. It’s why we continue to promote techniques like Competitive Analysis instead of turning this into a spam free-for-all like other Web Development forums.

Well, i don’t really think that google prefers sites with youtube videos embedded in them. I’ve heard that such things happen in case you are a real big Adwords user, but otherwise, i don’t think google shows any preferences. You could rather spend a little time on Video optimization to help your SEO of site.

Take a look at this blog post on seomoz http://www.seomoz.org/blog/youtube-ranking-factors-whiteboard-friday

It is specifically about how to improve rank within youtube but still worth watching. One point that relates to you question is that embedding will help you video rank within youtube, but it doesn’t address web search (well, except that youtube itself will rank for web searches). I’m going to search my bookmarks for a really good blog about the pros and cons of youtube versus self-hosting.

Just because something is not conclusive does not mean it is not research. Research can be conclusive or not conclusive but it does not change the fact that it is still research. I agree that some research is better setup and structured than others and you can have more confidence in the conclusions.

But based on your explanation if something is not 100% conclusive, which as you said ‘it is impossible to correctly isolate Google in order to come up with valid research’, then we should never be doing any research in SEO. If we are not doing any research then we are observing things and trying to come to conclusions (which technically is research) which is exactly what seoreel did in their article.

As I have said numerous time seoreel was not testing this, it was an observation they found, so I do not understand what you are arguing about.

We can test things and find techniques that appear to work, but it is impossible to isolate any single variable to determine if that is the cause why something works. Over time we identify certain things that appear to improve SEO rankings and results, but we can never know for sure that it is that one technique alone that is improving the results or if it is a combination of things.

The key is to analyze each technique and theory on its own merit compared to your own experience and knowledge. Many theories fail this test, and some may appear to work or be useful on first glance but over time are exposed for the sham they are.

As promised http://www.seomoz.org/blog/hosting-and-embedding-for-video-seo

Embedded a You Tube is not a bad idea it will create good traffic source for your site but it also keep in mind that video must be resourceful and site is also in good position. Generally You Tube has no extra features to gain rank for the site. If your video is good, useful or resourceful it will just give you more traffic.

It won’t necessarily help you rank (or make your site more relevant in Google’s eyes) but it would surely help in creating good and quality content for your site which should be what you are after. Of course, it must be a valuable video that adds some relevant information.

Google Identifies Video using the meta-tags we used in video. Video is a great content to capture users attention when they visits your web site. Gradually your hits to video will increase and Google notify this. hence , there may be a chance the same video can appear in SERP for any of your category keywords and including YouTube video is always Good in my point of View.

I think that couldn’t be more true. You build your SEO over time, and so I think that the OP would simply benefit from embedding a youtube video into it’s site because of the type of business he’s in (wedding photographer, according to his profile). Maybe not trough an improved ranking coming from SEO, but simply because he could feature very attractive content on his website, e.g., a pre-session video where he demonstrates how he prepares for an event, how he chooses locations, etc. Such things would only increase the probability that visitors find his services more “professional”.

The most important factor you should care if you want to get high ranking with your video is its quality.If your video has HD quality it could get more chance to rank high on Google