SEO Blogging

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me as i am about to start on a massive project and need some advice.

I am launching a new website in a few weeks and i want to help the pagerank of the site as much as i can for the future. The site will be a home and garden shopping site with several different catagories of products.

My idea is to start up several different blogs all with their own domain names and completely seperate from each other. Each of the blogs will focus on a different catagory within the home and garden section which will then link back to my website products.

Basically is this a good idea? :scratch:

Also i am looking at three different ways of doing this, either through blogger, tumblr or wordpress. Ideally i would like to use a hosted solution rather then setup my own, but all depends on whether there are big benefits to hosting myself.

Which is the best platform to get started on?

I am also thinking about the press releases, is it best to use something PRWeb.com to distribute these?

Forward thanks for anyone that maybe able to help :slight_smile:

Numerous factors affect any page’s PageRank. Choosing domains that at least include your main keyword phrase is very helpful, if you can get one. You can go to places like GoDaddy and set up an auction account and bid on aged domains that include your keywords. Ideally, you’d like to get a domain that’s at least a year old and already has PageRank and good quality, permanent backlinks. Build your site on one of these, and it will take less time to rank in the search engines (assuming your other SEO efforts are effective). In terms of platform, I think it’s much better to build your own blog/site with a CMS (content management system) than to use something like blogger. I’ve used Joomla, Drupal, and Wordpress, all with relative success. Wordpress is the easiest to use, has many, many good plugins, and lots of excellent themes avaialble. You can readily style your site to suit your site’s purpose, add to it as it grows, and re-style it whenever you’d like without having to re-build from scratch.

having blogs sure would help, but the process might take long time before you see any significant effect.

unless you have something really good going on with the site PR would be simply waste of money IMO.

So, let me get this straight … in order to boost your main site’s PageRank, you are going to create a link farm of brand new sites with no PageRank at all, to link to the main site.

How many reasons not to do this do you want?

Not sure if it’s a good idea. What if you just focus on one main site and just try to get back links from related niche but not your own sites. I think that would more likely help than your current idea.

Having CMS for SEO website is better than hosted service because you can modify the URL, edit the script and etc. With this, it can help you to optimize your SEO website. However, as a newbie to start a website, it is always not an easy one. You can start up with blogger while setting up the CMS. Then, move your content from blogger to CMS.

You can firstly set up your domain in SEO with the easiest and fastest way. When the CMS is ready, move the content over and it will help you further optimize the search engine ranking.

a link farm may not be the best idea but good luck, if they have high PR you may be in the money

Undertand what you saying. Was more on the point of if i could create good page ranks for the blogs then they would be boosting the main site as they would be linking back to the products on sale.

To be honest ive been chatting with a few people and its generally been discussed that it would be far more beneficial to create a blog for the main site under the same domain and just update and stay with that.

The SPF award for “understatement of the year” goes to Dan … :rolleyes:

If you create one site, you can put 100% of your efforts into working on that site – creating content, improving the design and usability, marketing and building links. if you create half a dozen sites, you’re spreading your time more thinly on each, so you’ll achieve less on each. And having links from five half-baked sites with little content and no rankings won’t do you any real good at all.

Understood, will concentrate on the one site then :slight_smile:

thanks for your helpful input, and i appreciate all your comments. :tup: