SEO for Ecommerce

Hi, we about to start seo for an ecommerce portal, it has 5000+ products. what is the easiest way to do on page for 5000 product page? like writing Meta tags, Alt tags, H1 tags.

It has to be done page by page. Of course, all that information is on the database (descriptions, titles, summaries… everything) so you will do it programmatically.

How much time it takes approx?

How much it takes to programmed that? I don’t know. Most of the CMS come with this feature already program… in that case 5 min. Now, if you were to do it yourself and you’re an expert programmer, maybe 30 min or 1 h.

can u please explain me technically. the portal was developed in magneto and it has 5000 products. manually i have to write meta tags for 5000 product pages. then how that information is stored in database.

I hope that this article will help. This subject is too wide to disuss it in just one thread :slight_smile:

Also, you may find certain extensions useful for SEO and magento. Maybe you want to look at this

The main thing is to ensure that each of the pages has fully detailed descriptive text about the product, which includes all the words and phrases that people are likely to search for. So, if you are selling an extra-loud chromium plated bicycle horn with rechargeable compressed air cartridges, make sure all those words are present in the text.

Also, be sure that the title of each page accurately describes the product, and includes the most important of the keywords. Photos of the product are essential (from the customer’s point of view), and it’s right that these should have descriptive Alt attributes. H1 tags (and other H tags) are important for formatting the text and adding a structure to it, but they get no special attention from the search engines.

As for “meta tags”, it depends what you mean by that. A meta tag with a description is important, as this is what usually appears as the snippet text in search results, and so it’s important that it contains a strong selling message that will encourage a click-through. But a meta tag with keywords is pointless, as these are visible neither to the search engines nor the site visitors.

Mike

I recommend doing it manually for Magento if you are someone who is unfamiliar with database or other programmatic solutions. You have another reason to play safe and do it page by page if the e-commerce store is already generating sales.

Here’s what I usually do to speed up the implementation of title and meta description tags:

• Use a syntax. For example, a meta description syntax for a product page can be “Buy and other online at Fun Store. Free shipping nationwide.”
  • Use Excel. =CONCATENATE() is your friend, use it. :smile:
  • Document the syntax as a guideline for the person who is uploading new product pages. It will save a ton of time moving forward.

Magento uses the product name for product pages’ H1. To me, that is already a good practice. As for ALT tags for images, I usually don’t worry about it until all the other on-page elements are completed. When I start working on them, I’ll give my priority to best sellers or products that the store owner would like to boost .

Let me know if you have more questions.

Wayne

Thanks molona great articles…

Thanks Mikl, goods points and i m going to follow.

Thanks WayneLiew, As i m the single person to do both on page and off page for an ecommerce portal, how do i manage both.

I think you may hire some one to share the work with you! but i think it is better to do an Onpage SEO by yourself.

Also i thank Molona for sharing a nice article.

You are about to target 5000 products at a instant with an eCommerce Infra. I would suggest you to go step by step.

First make your website SEO friendly (SEO friendly URL’s). This helps Google to Crawl easily.
Then Book all major social media profiles for stopping brand infringement.
Put on Keywords and MetaTags on individual pages (at-least category pages)
IN Magento you will get access to SEO Plugin, who let you do that.
Use some plugins like Share It Buttons, Facebook Login, Easy registration and checkout.

You can also refer smart help or expertise to make it further better.

Let me know any further assistance you may need.

:smiley:

2 Likes

For SEO purpose I would recommend going after Magento or PrestaShop. They both are seo-optimized and ready to rank. Most of top websites in google uses them.

Lots of top sites uses them… and many other top sites use something else. Wanted to add something to this comment because it looks like Magento or Prestashop are the only ones that have this SEO-friendliness characteristics.

While Magento or Prestashop are great, choosing an e-commerce platform should be done with other things in mind than SEO, in my opinion. There’re lots of way of doing marketing (SEO being one of them) but functionality should come first when choosing a platform.

Not saying that it’s not great the they’re SEO friendly. It is a plus and I would take that into account. But it would be the functionality and adaptation to my business what will make me choose one or the other.

Also, there are many other e-commerce platforms that are SEO friendly too such as Shopify or many WordPress e-commerce plugins

The site which i m talking about has 5000 products is developed in Wordpress + WooCommerce. i wanted an opinion about can i do both on page and off page simultaneously. how many products can i target per day?

@Ramya15 First up, yes, you can do both simultaneously but you should only point visitors or links to pages / products, which you have inserted all the on-page SEO elements.

How many products you can work on a day really depends on your resources (time and capability). I’ve shared some tips in my initial response on how you can speed things up. In fact, if you want to get everything up and going, just work out a syntax that you can apply to all product pages and if your e-commerce software is unable to pull this automatically, it comes down to how fast you can copy and paste from an Excel spreadsheet.

Title: {Product Name} | {Category Name} | {Store Name}
Meta Description Tag: Buy {product name] and other {category name} online at {store name}. Free shipping nationwide.

How much time you upload 5000 products, hard work, wordpress is not the best tool for shop
i suggest magento and zencart, you could write Meta tags description for every product.

For this type of large ecommerce website you need to use some tool to implement meta tags in the website. In that case you just need to create rule or pattern of the tags in which you want to create meta tags and it will automatically be implemented on the website.

The OP has not returned in over a month, and replies are becoming repetitive.