September Photo Challenge: Change of Seasons

I am afraid I have no idea what berries they are. These bushes are planted around the outskirts of our village along with some similar black ones.

So, have you ever tried to eat them? Just wondering if they are edible. Nightshade berries are lovely as well, but quite toxic. Still oddly enough, used to make digitalis! (:

My guess is that it’s some variety of Hawthorn and the berries are “haws”. If the bush (actually a short tree) has thorns - and nasty ones at that - then I’m probably guessing correctly.

I thought digitalis was made from Foxglove not Nightshade?
Anyway, a nice photo, close-ups aren’t always so easy. (for me anyway).

They look a bit like “Viburnum opulus” which a website tells me:

The beauriful red berries of the guelder rose look far better than they taste! This shrubby tree is common in the South of Britain, with bunches of white flowers standing out in the spring and early summer soon replaced by bright red clusters of berries that slowly weigh down their stork until they droop (as pictured above).

I personally prefer to leave this one to the birds, but the berries can be used in the place of cranberries. Less tasty, perhaps, but they are packed full of vitamin C.

This bush from memory did not have thorns but the one next to it did as I remember they kept sticking in me!

Oh m’gosh, my bad! You are right! :tup: I guess even this old girl can still learn something new everyday!

Very nice photographs. I live on Silverstrand beach in Ventura and I get to wittness some of the best sunsets with the channel Islands in the back ground.

Awsome! reminds me of the castle I used to live in while I was in Germany with my father.

Very Nice, I love the way the the branch and berry’s are so will lit in front of the dark blue background.