Serious layout issues

I am trying to fix my layout issues, but I am making them worse. It’s frustrating me, and putting me off.

I am hoping people can help me fix the issues, and get my site working properly and with proper coding techniques that I am missing.

If you can take a look at my code/site, and help me figure out what I am doing wrong so I can get rid of bad habits and misunderstandings so I can improve my skills I would be very grateful!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/www.briandaubdesign.com/index.html

Hi,

You will have to be more specific in which problems you want to address and in which browsers you are having a problem? I looked in the 2 most widely available browsers Chrome and Firefox and I didn’t see any serious issues as such in the display. IE10 looked ok also.

I’m guessing the issue is in IE9 and under but as you didn’t specify I’m not sure if that’s the problem you are talking about.

In your html you have comments above the doctype.

<!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/index.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" --><!doctype html>
<head>

There should never be any code above the doctype as that puts IE9 and all lesser IE versions into ie5 quirks mode and will then fail to understand any css from this century.

Remove the comments from above the doctype (or re-position them correctly) and IE should start working again.

It looks like you have corrupted the dreamweaver template structure and you would be better off looking at “includes” instead which are far more manageable.