Server Configuration with ISAPI Rewrite

Hello,

Currently, my hosting provider is running a windows server on IIS 6. Recently, I purchased a script that I wanted to use for a project management type thing. After the install, I am supposed to have a web based portal where I can login and set everything up. When I go to the url I setup, it only displays a blank page, no login. So I contacted the developer and they sent me a web.config file with the configuration(below) to use. Unfortunately, I could not use a web.config file due to the older version of IIS 6. The workaround was to get ISAPI Rewrite according to my hosting provider and they also gave me access to the httpd.conf file.

So,

My question is, how do I apply this configuration below to the folder where my project management script is so that I can get it working? Lets say that my folder is in a directory structure like:
/one/two/three/projectfolder

Thanks for your help!

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<system.webServer>
<defaultDocument>
<!-- Set the default document -->
<files>
<remove value="index.php" />
<add value="index.php" />
</files>
</defaultDocument>
<httpErrors errorMode="Detailed"/>
<rewrite>
<rules>
<rule name="Main Rule" stopProcessing="true">
<match url=".*" />
<conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAll">
<add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsFile" negate="true" />
<add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsDirectory" negate="true" />
</conditions>
<action type="Rewrite" url="index.php" />
</rule>
</rules>
</rewrite>
</system.webServer>
</configuration>

FWIW, I would just bite the bullet and upgrade to IIS7 and get baked in URL rewrites and a boatload of other features. IIS6 / Windows Server 2003 is 11 years old and almost out of support at this point.

IIRC ISAPI Rewrite uses rules similar to mod rewrite, so if your project management app has such rules you can start with the .hataccess file they likely provide.

Thank you for your reply. As much as I would like to do an upgrade its like pulling teeth when trying to get this company to understand the importance of keeping up to date with programs. At the moment I would like to try and make this work over using another program that I think is a bit lacking (which I may have to do but I am trying). I put the .htaccess file in the root of my project folder projectfolder>.htaccess but I still get a blank screen when trying to login. So I am trying to figure out, how to use the code above properly to get it working.

The magic words are “Thanks, I guess it is time I find a new hosting proider then . . .”

You can’t use the .htaccess directly, you can use the syntax in the isapi_rewrite.ini or whatever they tell you to call that file if memory serves.

Does anyone else have input on this? Would really appreciate the help. Thanks.