Server configuration

Hi,

I am the webmaster of a high-traffic web site that serves 115 Apache requests and 600-700 MySQL queries per second. Right now, as I have analyzed costs, it would be cheaper for me to buy and own a server and colocate it, rather than rely on a hosting company.

As I have been browsing Dell, as a webmaster, I am lost in a wide array of hardware configuration options. Managing servers I am ok with, but hardware is another thing. My questions are as follows:

[list][*]For example, on the PowerEdge R710 model, what should “guide” me in making a decision on the processor? Ultimately, in condensed dummy terms, what’s the END result of the difference between a 2.93 GHz E5570 Xeon vs a 2.26 GHz E5520 Xeon? I noticed that the 2.93 GHz costs about $1000 more. What?! Why?

[*]Does a larger CPU cache make a significant difference in performance? When will I see the performance differences of a 4M cache processor vs an 8M cache processor? Able to handle heavier loads at peak times?

[*]For processors, what exactly is “max mem” (i.e. 1066 MHz max mem)? What significant difference does it have on END result performance? When I talk about END result performance, I am talking about the hardware’s impact on front-end processes that a LAMP server runs (i.e. Apache, MySQL). Faster? More efficient?

[*]RAM: Single ranked or dual ranked? Which is generally better for high-traffic web servers? Do recommendations between the two options change with different processors?

[*]RAM: UDIMM or RDIMM? Which is generally better for high-traffic web servers? Do recommendations between the two options change with different processors?
[/list]
Thanks in advanced!

Pan,

My first question of you is whether you’re capable of monitoring and “fixing” problems 7/24/365? IMHO, unless you have that experience (and staff to monitor constantly), you’re better off buying those services from a hosting company.

To answer your specific questions, I’ll have to leave those to some of the hosts which frequent these forum boards.

Regards,

DK

Most of these options might do with some consideration and thought if you were doing something that’s actually compute intensive (3d rendering for example), however you’re not – you can fuss over if the latest DDR3 will give you a speed boost for weeks, but the point becomes kinda moot when with some reasonably simple software tweaks you could handle 15%+ more visitors.

Also remember: if you’re providing your own equipment you’re also the one that will be fixing it. Drive dies? Stops powering on? PSU goes? Time for a trip upto the colo facility to fix it - all while your site is offline.

Compare that to having DC staff on-site 24/7 with hardware spares and vendor contracts etc.

Anyway, on with the questions:

1. Go with whatever offers the most cores within your price range.

2. Larger cpu cache will make a small difference, but web serving & lightweight database stuff won’t stress it enough to see it.

3. 1066mhz is the ram refresh rate, doesn’t matter.

4. Doesn’t matter.

5. Doesn’t matter.