Server usage >15%, can't MySQL use more?

I have a dedicated server, and my WHM says the server resources used is less than 15% for both CPU and memory. I am running a PHP/MySQL script that takes about an hour or two to run, and when I run it I can’t use any other pages that use MySQL since that script is using all the MySQL resources.

I am wondering why MySQL isn’t running the server resources to near 100%, and if that is as fast as MySQL can work, then does anyone know if it’s possible to run multiple MySQL instances or do something to use more server resources?

My host suggested MySQL tuner, which I’ll check out, but I’m really more interested in why the server resources aren’t maxed out.

EDIT: I added a screenshot of my mysqltuner output. Might as well be in spanish lol.

I followed the configuration at http://www.firemakerhosting.com/server-management/configuring-optimizing-mysql-for-whm-dedicated-server-vps/

It didn’t speed anything up, which I didn’t expect. MySQL is only using 6.2% CPU and .4% memory. The whole server is less than 10%. There must be a way to increase usage?

hello,

Here are some things to check.

How do you know your PHP script isn’t the bottleneck?
Have you checked for slow queries?
Perhaps it is i/o bound…
and what is your script doing? why is your script using “ALL” mysql resources? it sounds like you are locking tables…

Jurn

Jurn, it was just the MySQL config; the default doesn’t allow for much resources to be used (considering a dedicated server). PHP was also only set at 250M memory, so I’ve upped that to 2GB. I did just upgrade servers, so now I have quad core 3.2GHz with 16GB RAM. I’m sure I’ll just have to play around, but I’m wondering what I should set the PHP memory and MySQL limits to. They are the only things using vast resources.