Setting up a remote development environment

Hi All,

I am looking to start works on developing my website which is an online e-commerce store, hosted on a Linux VPS server and I am looking to start making the website responsive. I am considering developing the website remotely and then submitting the changes through something like source control.

The problem I’m having is I’m not entirely sure how to set up a remote development environment, how to develop and view the website changes without them being made live? Would it be easier to use a localhost on my computer and upload the changes bit by bit. I am using aptana to develop the website and any advice that the forums could offer would be great.

Many thanks

It would be better to develop and use a test server on your computer, and then upload to a staging server that resembles as close to the live sever as possible. Having that local server makes testing code a lot faster.

And bugs don’t bomb the server! :rofl:

A few years ago a new developer didn’t code properly a function for recursively deleting a directory with all its contents. Result? The whole site got deleted within a second! As a result there were 0 files left! :). And we were close to a small disaster because there were many other live sites on the same server so potentially the buggy function could have deleted all of them since the permissions weren’t set up properly to prevent that.

If you have a newer computer with the processing power to spare Virtual machines are a delightful tool. You can set one up using the same OS as the final server in most cases, or if the deployed server is itself a virtual machine you can clone that server and run the clone locally.