Several blogs from one Wordpress install - Can this be done?

Hi everyone. Some time ago I installed Wordpress mu, which has now apparently been discontinued and integrated into the main Wordpress package. I am not sure whether the way I intended to use it is doable. Namely: I want to have several blogs running on distinct domains (i.e. domain1.com, domain2.com, while managing them from the same wordpress administrative interface). This would allow me to avoid having to maintain multiple wordpress installations and avoid inconsistencies such as domain1.com has plugin x, but domain2.com doesn’t. After searching the web it would appear this can’t be done unless the blogs are subdomains of the same domain, which is not what I want. Can it be done like this: installing WP 3.3.1 on a domain, like let’s say mybloginstall.com, setting up two blogs on it and having the posts for each blog be displayed on its respective domain? Or do I have to go with separate installations?

I think this may be what your’re looking for (http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network#Domain-based), I’ve only had a real, real quick glance at it so you should have a good read through it to make sure. You could set up a test setup on a seperate development server to see if this is what you’re after.

In any case make sure you make a full backup (code and database) of each blog before migrating it over to the new setup, perhaps suspend the ability for people to make comments just before the backup is made.

Thank you, I will go and read it now.