jason__c — 2011-10-15T17:53:04-04:00 — #1
First and Foremost, I am a .NET developer who needs to do less outsourcing. Any who, the purchase of this Adobe software will be about 1- 1 1/2 yeas from now. So, should I buy CS5.5 or wait till CS6.0? I will mainly use it for Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash.
Main reason being I don't want to buy 5.5 if 6.0 comes out 1/2 year from next year.
Kind of a crystal ball, but open to suggestions.
xhtmlcoder — 2011-10-16T05:58:21-04:00 — #2
Adobe used to release new versions to certain programs around every 18-months.
dark_tranquility — 2011-10-19T08:06:48-04:00 — #3
If you need to use those now I don't see why you should postpone until 6.0! But if you can wait for 12 months+ why not? As it seems that photoshop is going to have some nice new features!
jason__c — 2011-10-19T09:24:40-04:00 — #4
Yeah, that was kind of my point. Is 6 going to be that much superior to 5.5 that I should wait to make my purchases. Since I don't want to buy 5.5, then upgrade to 6.0 would be a huge waste of money. I think I will sit it out if it is going to be a revolutionary leap between the two.
dark_tranquility — 2011-10-19T10:12:33-04:00 — #5
The revolution for the next Photoshop version is going to be a new mighty "unblur" technology:
I don't if this is really important in your case or not?
There are some posts here and there on the net about the new CS6 features etc... just make a research on google or on twitter!
dark_tranquility — 2011-10-19T11:30:03-04:00 — #6
jason__c — 2011-10-19T11:43:18-04:00 — #7
Sweet. Thanks for the advice, if PS6 allows for video and animation built in, I am sold. No doubt I am holding off.
dark_tranquility — 2011-10-19T12:16:35-04:00 — #8
Glad this thread helped you to take a decision!
dvdb — 2011-10-30T19:31:54-04:00 — #9
If you're worried about cs6 vs cs6, I just bought cs5 and that was an upgrade from CS3. Even though there are many upgrades and cooler things that you can do; if you're worried about how much to spend, just buy a cs3 or 4 2nd hand or new for a super cut price and then when cs6 comes out (with a hefty price tag fyi) you can buy it.
slackr — 2011-11-02T18:43:42-04:00 — #10
There's always upgrades around the corner, unless you are certain that there's a killer feature you will use I wouldn't hold off. Certainly if you don't need to invest right now then hold off, but if it makes economical sense then don't avoid doing it. Adobe have always had a decent upgrade path. If you are worried look for a CS5 second hand copy and use that to upgrade to 6 in the future. Best of both worlds. Plus it will give you a good head start on learning it if you don't already use them.
Frankly there have been very few killer features since about CS3. A few nice things along the way but not many truly epic shifts.