Short CSS Quiz/Survey

Hi All,

I put a short CSS Quizz together.
Please give it a shot and spread the word.
I plan to publish the results and solution in a coupe of weeks.

CSS Quizz

Thanks!

Interesting quiz. I had a go at it, but felt like I was poking in the dark a bit. Doesn’t the context of that span matter, though? Not sure …

As for the first declaration … :shifty:

Hi Ralph,

The idea is to remove as many declarations as you can without breaking anything. Knowing that there is no other “explict” styling than what you see in the Quizz.

In short, simply ask yourself if what you remove or what you edit may change the look of the element or the way it appears on the page.

Thanks for taking the quizz/survey :slight_smile:

Does that mean that there’s no author styling on any other element that may be on the page? (I.e. other than what the browser default uses.)

No. We do not know about this. There could be none or plenty. All we know is that there is no other rule that tagets #box.

I started on it, but walked away on it as I suspect I would NEVER write code like that in the first place… Again, CSS without the markup it applies to is gibberish – and there’s a LOT of gibberish in there.

I mean, it’s even using an image replacement technique I would NEVER, EVER use in the first place!

Hi Thierry, nice little quiz.:slight_smile:

I see a slight conflict unless this was built into your quiz on purpose. I won’t say what it is in case it’s part of the quiz but I submitted a solution with comments if you want to check.

Is it :slight_smile: I think you missed something lol :wink:

Thanks Paul,

I must say the results are very interesting…

lol, I didn’t even think about that one. You’re 100% correct, very good catch! :wink:

You may want to take a look at the big picture :wink:

I can’t believe I didn’t properly reply to you guys. It’s too early here, I click the wrong button. I need coffee!! :frowning:

Agreed. I don’t see the purpose to the rules there for is nearly impossible to tell what would be more efficient or whats even correct. Even the obvious errors are difficult to judge, example. you have two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT padding declarations… sure only one will be set, but w/o seeing the code order, or knowing what her desired spacing, images, ect are… can a person choose between the two. It was a cool idea, just too many ambiguities to be a viable quiz. A for effort and nice styling one the form.

I just did it and it thoroughly confuzled me what s/he (the “user who wrote the styles”) was trying to do.

I think I’m getting it… we weren’t supposed to “fix” it, were we? Just get the same (visual) result? I tried to fix it : (

Yes, totally, with the exception of one declaration may be for which context is relevant (edge-case though). But only Paul has spotted that one so far so I don’t think it should confuse too many participants. Besides, that’s one declaration out of sixtheen.

lol - look again - there is no ambiguity as it all resolves nicely - it all makes 100% sense and is a great quiz :slight_smile:

The element is already styled with those properties and you must preserve the way it looks and behaves and interacts at the moment. You need to reduce the code shown to its minimum without changing the visual appearance of that element or anything that may be around it. What can you get rid of and why.

Yes that’s basically it :slight_smile:

Yes, but I havent seen the element or know the desired style result, or even seen the ACTUAL CSS ( do we assume the rules are given in the same order as the check boxes?)

padding:50px; and padding :10px 0; ( one rule will override the other, depending on the order in the code. It’s obvious ONE rule as to go… but WHICH? There is nothing to say which comes first or which padding is desired) that’s just ONE example of what I saw as ambiguous

The desired result is the way that an element with those styles applied would look. You don’t need to know anything more.

The rules are in order as shown (although it only matters for the edge case Thierry mentioned). It is your job to work out what the element looks like with all those rules in place and then to decide which rules aren’t needed but to keep the element still looking the same and at the same time not change its effect on others around it.

I can’t say much more without compromising the quiz. Once you get it you’ll say Doh! :slight_smile: