Should I go for PHP 5.3?

Hi all, I am developing an application using 5.2 and I was wondering if to switch to 5.3 for a few good reasons. However since 5.3 is not yet well supported across servers it got me here doubting if to go for it or not. It would definitely make my code a lot cleaner for a start, which is quite tempting.

This application is just a personal project so I have no deadlines or customers to get in trouble with. It is also gonna be a while till I have something to release. The only thing I would need to do is to change hosting company once I finish it if my current one hasn’t upgraded yet. No one is mentioning PHP upgrades on their servers though and this has been for quite a while.

What do you guys think?

Thank you for your input on this.

Not well supported? PHP 5.2 support is rapidly dying off. Gentoo and Debian distros will cease including 5.2 by default at the end of the month and the other Linux distros are likely to follow suit. If the servers you are dealing with aren’t keeping current that brings up a whole slew of issues.

Within the year PHP 5.2 will likely only be available on request. I wouldn’t develop a new application for it at this time.

If your host has 5.3 available there is no reason not to. In this case you don’t even need to worry about that even since it’s personal project being developed on a local machine I presume – so 5.3 all the way.

Thank you Michael you made my day. I’m a PHP addict but not so put in what’s going on so your input was appreciated. I will happily dump 5.2 as 5.3 is much more OOP friendly

Have a nice day.

Thanks Oddz, even more reassured.